Saturday, January 24, 2009

Wintering in Texas

I know this is ridiculous but whenever I come downstairs to a cold morning, I get very annoyed.  It's not that I hate winter.  I'm a Virginia girl at heart and we get our share of ice and snow but after living in the Houston furnace for most of the year, I feel entitled to mild, coatless, flip-flop weather from November to April.
Last Friday was one of those perfect days and since Fridays are light homeschooling days for us, I took the kids out for a picnic and playtime.  They wanted to go to the "mystery" playground, a wooded park with lots of trails and a nearby lake with a boat launch.  Of course, they were drawn to the water and since it was so warm, I let them wade.  Now that I am a veteran mom, I realize that when I let the kids wade, it is completely pointless to tell them not to get their clothes wet.  Someone inevitably falls "by accident" and if I call their bluff, the fun is ruined.  Sophie was the fall guy this time.  She was soaking wet with her raggedy little skirt hanging halfway down her calves.  Surprisingly, her sisters didn't follow her lead and stayed dry-ish so we were able to spend time on the playground before packing it in until the next beautiful Texas winter day!   

The "Skirt Brigade" aptly named by Aunt Martina

Ella mid-flight.  She loves, loves, loves to swing!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the Houston area does have lovely days. Today it is 74! People in Wisconsin, Minn., Alaska, are all jealous!

    Enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.