Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sarah's Store


At the Doyle Homeschool, we use Saxon for math, which Mia loves for all its hands-on activities.  It's a bit of a nightmare for me.  You'd think that with first grade math, I'd be able to wing it a bit.  When I try that though, the lesson inevitably calls for 100 pennies or 80 peanuts or 20 apples and I'm stopped in my tracks for the day.  
A few weeks ago, Mia's lesson was to play store and practice addition and money.  She loved it and wanted to include more than the six items we used.  So she was thrilled to find out that a few lessons down the road, she'd be making a big store.  We've been saving things for it for a month or so and Mia begged me to let her set it up while Paka was here. Since he's the best math tutor I know, I agreed and we turned the dining room into "Sarah's Store".
We all went shopping and Mia dutifully added up prices and gave us receipts.  She even had a timer set to let us know when the store would be closing.  At one point my mom staged a hold up but was unsuccessful.  
We'll probably be playing store for the next few weeks and hopefully we'll get Grace in on the action. Of course, the more we play, the more they'll learn.  What could be better than that? 

The customers quiz the cashier

Writing a receipt

The stick up

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I need to do this with Ryan and Lauren, they'd have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lesson we were doing involved adding two digit numbers but I'm planning on having a "sale" for Grace & maybe even Sophie and knocking prices to 1,2 & 3 cents. Another part of the lesson is to get the kids to divide the foods and things into groups like in a real grocery store. So, lots to do!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.