Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mom's Night In

I belong to the St. Angela Merici Society at St. Martha's church, a group of homeschoolers who meet for field trips, play days and, once a month, a Mom's Night Out.  I've been going to Mom's Night Out for a few months now.  It involves the rosary or Mass, dinner and conversation about homeschooling.  Because we've been having it in a classroom at church, it has felt a little school-ish for me and really, Mom's Night Out should be a break from school, so I volunteered to move it to my house.  We had nine ladies last week and had a wonderful time.  I provided beverages which included wine -- come on, we ARE Catholic!  And everyone else brought the rest of the meal.  We said the rosary in front of a fire in our living room and prayed for our special intentions, our husbands and children and especially for God's will regarding our choice to homeschool.*  We did a little get-to-know-you activity inspired by Catalina Garcia that had us all rolling.  
My friend Misty told us that her parents (who have migrated from Canada for the month to stay with them) asked her what she does at Mom's Night Out and she said, "Eat...and complain."  We laughed.  "No, seriously, who else can we complain to who won't tell us to put our kids back in school?"  Good point.  We are committed to homeschooling but on my bad days, I know that I have no idea what I'm doing, that my theme song should be John Mayer's "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" and that I am definitely crazy!  Who understands that better than my fellow "crazies"? Thank you all!

*Pam Miller told us about something she and her family do with the fifth Glorious Mystery of the rosary.  With each Hail Mary, they offer a different flower for Mary's crown.  We tried it with our girls this week and they loved it.  I couldn't believe they could think of so many different flowers- red roses, yellow roses, white roses... 

2 comments:

  1. So, dish. What did you do with your kids while you feasted and wined/'whined'?

    I'm having my MNO tomorrow, and it is LONG overdue. You're right, we *do* have to make time to do these things! I'm going to be starting a monthly pedi club...ok, not really, but I'm going to be better about inviting friends along when I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids spent the night at G & G Doyle's. Chris came home so we had a little time to ourselves once everyone went home which was nice. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.