Thursday, January 8, 2009

Good Question

For the past week, Grace has been asking, "Mommy, what are you going to be when you grow up?"   When my mom heard her yesterday, she chimed in "a mommy", which is true.  But, hmmm...Grace's question has me thinking.
When people see how many kids we have, they often ask us, "Are you done?" (a question that seems a little personal for a first meeting or the line at the grocery store).  I don't know if Ella's our last, but even if she's not, she's definitely closer to the caboose than the engine.  So,  what will I do when my kids are bigger and I no longer spend most of my days teaching and mothering them?
We got a Christmas card from a family I knew when I was at UVA.  I remember babysitting their youngest while his mama went to her Master's classes.  This spring, she will defend her dissertation in engineering and find out where she'll begin her career as a professor.  Good for her!  Teaching at the college level appeals to me.  I was accepted to KU's doctorate program and almost continued there after my year in Spain but for many reasons, decided to come home and teach middle school instead.  Although I love Spanish Literature, I don't see myself going back down that path.  I think I'll be ready for a new adventure.
Chris talks about running a vineyard.  When we travel, we love to visit wineries and listen to the owners' stories.  Our favorite vineyard is run by a couple who had no experience at all and learned the business by working it.  That's a possibility.  Another interesting entrepreneur we've run across is the llama lady.  She and her husband bought a piece of land in the Shenandoah Valley and use it to raise llamas.  I'm not sure whether that's a profitable business, but she is living out a lifelong dream and has a new, warm coat each winter.
Then there's the possibility of running some kind of camp, school or retreat center.  Chris and I both enjoy mentoring young people, but would we have the energy for that?One thing's for sure, we will have grandchildren to enjoy, and we plan to spend a lot of time doing that.  As for the rest?  Well, it's no fun to know the end of the story anyway.  So, Grace, here's your answer for now:  I'm going to be an astronaut, a fireman, an actress, a writer, a snowman...

2 comments:

  1. just don't tell her you plan on being a firetruck...or whatever it was that either david or neil was quoted saying as a kid, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Neil and it was a schoolbus or a snowman. That's why I put that in there!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.