Sunday, January 18, 2009

Running


Hope and her Marathon Man

I love to run.  The best depiction of what the sport does for me is in the movie Forrest Gump when Forrest wakes to find Jenny gone and takes off running- down the lane, through his town and eventually across the country until- he stops.  He's worked things out and can go home. When I run, I put my body on autopilot and my mind goes off in a million different directions in a way it never does when I'm at rest.  I solve problems, come up with creative ideas and even write blog posts on my runs. 
2008 marked my 20th year as a runner.  I'd run here and there before that including one disastrous season on my high school track team but I began in earnest when I got to UVA in an effort to avoid the first-year 15.  Those early runs were all at night with my friend Julie.  We'd leave the dorm at 10:30 P.M. and run up to five miles.  Mostly though, I've been a solitary runner.  I don't run with a jogging stroller or even a watch.  It's just me, my ipod and the pavement.  
I've run a few races over the years, my favorite being the Hood to Coast in Portland, Oregon when my brother David was there working for Intel.  The Hood to Coast is the "Mother of all Relays". It goes 197 miles from Mt. Hood to the Pacific Ocean in Seaside.  Teams are made up of twelve runners who do three legs apiece.  David and I ran for Intel's team two years in a row and we did it in about 24 hours- a decent time.  The first year we ran, I did legs 12, 24 & 36 and had the privilege of running into Seaside and completing the race for our team.  It was amazing- the beauty, the noise and the euphoric finishers milling around on the beach.  A once-in-a-lifetime experience.
This morning, we dragged our young kids out of bed to go watch our friend Ralph Gonsoulin run his third Houston Marathon (fourth marathon overall).  I love races, especially marathons. There's something amazing about watching all of those people push through intense pain to reach a goal.  We drove all over the city like a clown van and were able to catch Ralph at three different points. We held up our signs and cheered for all the runners.  The best of course was when Ralph passed us.  Chris tried to be creative with his cheering to help motivate Ralph and at mile 22 yelled, "Ralph, you're looking good, you're a good-looking man, Ralph, you're one attractive, good-looking man!"  We got a few laughs from friendly bystanders.  Unfortunately, Ralph missed his goal of 3:20 by a mere one minute five seconds.  We are all sure that if it hadn't been such a hot day, he'd be on his way to Boston now.  It's only a matter of time though.
For me and Chris, one of the best things about today was the opportunity to show the girls how much fun it can be to get out and support someone we love.  Hopefully they'll do their share of both running and cheering in their lives, but it's good to show them that they don't have to be the ones in the spotlight to have a good time.  
So, if you ever decide to go for 26.2, give us a shout, we'll be there in person or in spirit cheering you on to victory!

Our cheering section.  We started off with balloons but didn't secure them well enough to survive Grace's attempt to hold them.

Ella watched the runners with great interest.

Ralph at mile 22.  He's on the right wearing the white shirt and hat.  He looked strong.

Many of the runners gave Mia a thumbs up for this sign.

Ralph with one mile left to go.  We had to sprint to see him.


An example of what runners run through- Ralph first felt it at mile 9.

Two of the "Intel Runny People", ready to run through the night at the 1998? Hood to Coast


David finishes a grueling third leg.  It was over six miles, all uphill in the middle of a hot day.  He ran it fast!  We made him a ribbon of toilet paper to break through at the end.

Running is a family affair
David, Tara & Alice at the Liberty 5K 2006
The Liberty 5K is a cozy race held on the fourth of July in Winchester, VA.  We've run- or walked- it as a family several times.  It's the hardest 5K course I've run with four hills, one long, steep one at the end.  The year I was pregnant with Grace, I walked the course with my sister Jamie.  We were dead last and the police car trailed us, picking up cones as we passed!  I wish I had a picture because we had a great time and I was very proud of my huge self!
In 2006, David, Tara & I all placed in our age groups.  Chris gave up his chance to place and paced me instead.  I made a personal best that day so I appreciated his help.  Of course, I still finished behind my little sis!

Chris and Madeleine at the Liberty 5K, not sure which year.
Madeleine is always at the front of the pack in her age group's fun run.  
One year she came in second.

David in the 2006 Marine Corps Marathon
I love this picture because he makes it look so easy

2 comments:

  1. I love your passion for the sport. I too am a huge runner and find that's it's so good for the mind as well as body.
    Loving the photo's!!
    Please visit our website for amazing relay adventures offered on different parts of the globe. I am the organiser for London ODYSSEY Relay adventure. We're so excited about this event, it's the first of this size in the UK.
    All the best
    Regards
    Carly Peters
    www.londonodysseyrelay.com
    www.americanodysseyrelay.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just catching up on blog reading but wanted to say that walk/running (I think you ran more than I did- how sad is it that my 8 month pregnant sister runs faster than me?? lol) the liberty 5k was super fun. I'm actually going to start training via the "couch to 5k" plan at my next workout. I will be very impressed when I can run 3 miles straight without getting shin splints! And maybe just maybe I'll even take the running outside when it gets warmer...but I doubt it =)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.