Saturday, January 17, 2009

In-Laws


I consider myself very lucky in love. I'm also lucky in in-laws.  I guess that makes sense.  
I remember the first time I met Jack and Barbara.  I was in the middle of a very dense 15 page paper on Don Quijote when Chris rescued me with an invitation to lunch with his parents.  I remember Barbara as an attractive, welcoming person and we had a great time getting to know each other.  She told me later that after that lunch she hoped I was "the one"(thank you!).  Our relationship was tested not too long afterward when Chris and I found ourselves facing an unplanned pregnancy.  Chris drove home to Wichita to tell his parents and to their credit, they sent him right back to Lawrence to be there for me when I called mine.  They have never wavered in that kind of support for me and for our family.
Jack is an admirable man.  He is hard-working, dutiful and funny in an I'm-not-trying-to-be-funny way.  He is also an outstanding grandfather.  Whether it's suffering through the Texas heat at an all-day swim meet, showing up for the 107th softball game or just shuttling Madeleine around, he is always there for the girls. Every Friday after Mass he takes them for a treat and they look forward to that time with Grandpa all week.
The thing I admire most about Barbara is her loyalty.  She is like a pit bull when it comes to those she loves (I had to use a dog analogy as she loves dogs more than anyone I know except maybe my sister Jamie).  She never screens my calls even though I often call with a request for help and she comes over every week to watch three of the girls while I take Sophie to kindermusik.  She has a special bond with Ella that I love to see and I don't mind when Ella leaps from my arms into hers. 
When we're with Jack and Barbara, we're never short on laughter.  In fact, I can think of several times when we've laughed so hard in public we thought we were going to be escorted out.  One time, at Cowtown in Wichita, I was 8-months pregnant and we started laughing so hard Jack thought I was going to choke.  He said, "I'd give you the Heimlich manuever, but I wouldn't know where to hold you!"  Classic Jack.
So, here's to you, G & G Doyle...thanks for leaving nice, pretty, ski-bunny Denver for this hot, mosquito-infested, hurricane-prone coastland with us!

One of many hilarious Doyle dinners

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.