Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Need To Eat




I like to shop as much as the next girl but shopping for groceries is not on my list of favorite things to do.  When I lived in Spain, I would shop daily, walking through the open air market or our corner store (where the owners knew Madeleine and kept her happily supplied with treats).  I bought what looked good that day (the whole rabbits and chickens never looked good!)  And that's the way I prefer to meal plan- without a plan.  Actually, that's the way I like to live in general much to the chagrin of my very organized husband.
Of course caring for a family of seven has made me change my ways.  I now make menus and write grocery lists according to the sections of the store.  For the four youngest Doyle girls, our trips to the store are mini-adventures where they vie for sections of the cart and struggle to keep them as it fills with groceries.  I usually buy them each a little bottle of apple juice which is a cherished treat despite the fact that we almost always have a big jug in the fridge at home.  Then there are the seasonal changes we notice each time we go.  At Halloween, it was the scary witch that they pretended was pursuing them down every aisle.  At Christmas is was a gigantic pile of toys that gave them ideas for their lists for Santa (apparently Santa doesn't shop at the grocery store though).  Now, it's almost Valentine's Day and they feast their eyes on all of the candy and gifts.
My sister-in-law Jes said it best when she commented that she likes to eat just not the having to eat part.  I agree.  Imagine what we could do if we didn't have to attend to our daily needs to eat and sleep.  I'd miss our family dinners though.  No matter how crazy life gets, we sit down together at the end of the day over good food and focus on each other.  It is my hope that our kid grow up to cherish that time for food and fellowship as much as we do.  That is what will make all of the planning and shopping and cooking worthwhile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.