Last weekend was full of talent-appreciation opportunities for the Doyle family. As I said in my "Running" post, we spent Sunday cheering on our friend Ralph in the Houston Marathon. Saturday night, we had the privilege of seeing Madeleine perform in her Regional Choir concert. We're new to Regional Choir but apparently, it's a big deal to be selected for it. Students receive practice CDs in August and start preparing for auditions. Madeleine auditioned in November and was one of only three students from SMMCS to make the choir. She was the only one to make the more competitive mixed choir. She spent a couple of months practicing with her music teacher, Mrs. Zoeke, and then attended just two practices with the choir as a whole before performing Saturday night.
I didn't know what to expect but came away completely impressed. There were three different combinations of choirs there and each performed three or four songs. Madeleine's choir performed last. My favorite piece was a wonderful rendition of Billy Joel's "Lullabye". Madeleine's favorite, "He Never Failed Me Yet" was about how God is always there for us. It was one of several religious songs. The selections surprised me because the choir was comprised mostly of public school students. Madeleine's school was the only private school there. Only in Texas.
Madeleine is already talking about next year and hoping for a solo. I'm thinking about how much fun she'll have performing in high school musicals in a few years!
The trio from SMM Cristina, Madeleine & Bayley
Grateful girls with choir director, Mrs. Zoeke
Madeleine's friend Shirley came for moral support
Madeleine and her biggest fan at the after-show celebratory dinner
Madeleine took this picture of me and her mini-me
Go Madeleine! Go runners! Three cheers for parents! (I love Barbara and Jack too.) Anyway, I thought I'd get all my comments in on one blog entry. Enjoy all those birthday presents, Sophie. And last -- say hi to all the members of Teams of Our Lady for us.
ReplyDelete