Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Texas Season-ing


I don't remember thinking much about the weather when we lived in Fredericksburg.  Maybe that's because I grew up in Virginia with its four seasons.  I didn't have to remind myself to be cheerful and stop complaining about what was happening outside because there wasn't much to complain about.  It's a little different here in Houston.  While I've gotten used to the extreme heat and humidity, I still get grumpy this time of year when it hangs on and on and I experience my favorite season by watching the leaves die and fall off the trees without a hint of red, yellow or orange or the need for us to wear even long sleeved shirts much less sweaters.  My annoyance tells me that I have a sense of entitlement about at least one thing in life--my right to a real autumn.  
Instead of spring, summer, fall and winter, the "seasons" in Texas can be described in much the same way Tex-icans label their salsas "mild", "medium", "hot" and "diablo"  (I'm not sure there is such a thing as diablo salsa but there should be and there are certainly diablo days).
Sunday afternoon, we went on our first geocache adventure in a long time.  We chose a park I'd never been to--always exciting.  And it was beautiful.  The temperature was between "hot" and "diablo" so tramping around in the bushes was a sticky affair.  The girls didn't complain very much and we found both caches with few problems.  I must admit though, my mind was far away in a place where the weather is cooler and the leaves are getting ready to put on their show.  
OK I admit it--I want to go home.  I miss my peeps and the feeling of the fading year that the cool weather brings.  Come on--it is just not normal to wear short sleeves and tank tops all year.  Haven't I read somewhere that there's a time for every purpose under heaven?  I'm ready for marshmellow-roasting-while-wearing-thick-sweaters-in-the-cool-fall-air time.  I don't see that in my near future.  I suppose I'll have to settle for cranking down the a/c and turning on the fireplace.  I'm feeling a little bitter about it though. 


If you look hard, you'll see cache #1



1 comment:

  1. I SO concur. About the weather and everything. How do you get involved in geocaching? I have some other friends who do that, but I have no idea what exactly it is, or how you "do" it. The happy fairy has visited me this week (as opposed to the past 2 weeks of misery fairy) and am in the mood to run screaming (happily this time) through the streets. I think it has something to do with the "medium" weather.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.