Sunday, September 13, 2009

Lucky

So--have you heard my new favorite song yet?  In the joy of discovery, I listened to it more than a few times today.  It's simple, more mellow than I normally like and the best part hands down is the verse sung by Dave Matthews.  I've had personal theme songs on my mind because I am working on Grace's birthday video and have been trying to come up with a song to replace Brickhouse as her theme.  Each of the girls has two special songs.  One is an Elvis song that Chris picked for them at birth and sang to them as babies.  The other is their theme song--a tradition that started with Mia's Brown Eyed Girl.  I picked Brickhouse for Grace because when she was a toddler, she was built just like a brick.  Then Chris put the song on a running mix for me and I really listened to the words for the first time.  Time to find a new song.  One of the songs I've considered is called "Lucky To Be Me".  It's a slow jazz song and doesn't fit Grace at all so I've ruled it out but the title has stuck with me.  I'd love for each of my girls to be able to write their own "Lucky To Be Me" song about their lives.  I know I look at them and think about how special they are and how lucky I am to be their mama.
In fact, despite the never-ending rain and a cold that won't go away, I have been feeling extra-thankful this week in general.  I am a true believer in practicing the art of gratitude.  When I first started, I would write lists in my journal at night or anytime I felt like complaining about life.  I wrote thank you notes to anyone and everyone I could think to thank for something.  Then I read about a woman who always writes "Thank you" on the note line of her checks.  So I started doing that which means I thank the caterer at the school, our church, my friends, whoever.  Most of the bible verses I have up around the house are "thank you" verses and reminders to praise the Lord at all times.  And on my refrigerator is a magnet with a quote by Walt Whitman that says, "You Are So Much Sunshine To The Square Inch".  I love that.  More than anything, that's what I want to be--a positive, grateful person who shines the light of the "son" wherever I go.

Thank you, God--for everything.
And to Chris, for whom I'm most grateful.

"What a day, fortune smiled and came my way, bringing love I never thought I'd see.  
I'm so lucky to be me"

3 comments:

  1. I am thankful for you, God knows exactly the friends I need. What a great picture. I can't wait to be inlaws with you guys! Until then, I need to get a babysitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, thank you for your sweet comment just now on my blog. THANK YOU. I feel like you are a kindred spirit for the following immediate reasons:
    1. We're miscarriage buddies
    2. You have turquoise and red polka dots on your header. That is my business color scheme. :)
    3. You talk about trying to be grateful. I have been on a gratitude journey for nearly 10 years now, and it has shaped me into who I am today.
    4. You quoted WALT WHITMAN, my favorite poet.

    So.... Let's be friends. :) I like you!

    Happy new week to you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're cool, Alice. (Do they use that word these days or am I dating myself?) I feel grateful to have you for a daughter and a walking buddy when we get the chance.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.