Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Our Jedis














From now on, this little guy at the top of a blog entry means: this entry is about "the world according to Alice"--proceed with caution!  (and leave a comment if you have an opinion)

This post is dedicated to my Dad who taught me the importance of simple things like hard work, discipline and humble leadership.  I love you!

My first memory of Star Wars is when we were living in "the old house"--before I turned 8.  Mom and Dad came home from a rare night out raving about a new movie with robots that we would like.  I don't remember whether we saw Star Wars in the theatre back then but I have always been a fan and have noticed a few lessons that apply to Christian living.  
The other day, Ella got her hands on one of the 30+ library books we have lying around.  She ripped a page and while I was taping it up and lamenting the fact that we would have to buy the book, I noticed that it was one I'd checked out thinking about the Williams boys who came to the book lesson and love Star Wars.  It is called I Want To Be A Jedi.  The particular page Ella ripped was about "Forbidden Marriage".  It says:

"Like everyone, the Jedi can fall in love, but they must not allow any strong emotions to get in the way of defending the galaxy.  The Jedi are forbidden to marry because strong emotional attachments can cloud their judgement and stop them from doing their jobs well."

It reminded me of the priesthood.  I know many people don't understand why Catholic priests don't marry.  Maybe they even think it's a little strange or unnatural.  I don't know much about George Lucas or the story behind Star Wars but I think his tale explains it well.  It is Anakin's attachment to Padmé and his fear of losing her along with his belief that because of his special gifts he is above Jedi law that leads to his fall*.  
Priests are the shepherds of the flock.  They don't use light sabers but ideally, they lead the charge to heaven and give their lives to get us there.  It makes sense to me that they would take vows like chastity, poverty** and obedience that keep them as detached from the world as possible.  "Rules" like these make strong, disciplined and worthy leaders.
Priests have a tough job.  It's no wonder they sometimes struggle.  I will be praying for them today and maybe even writing a thank you note or two to the ones who touch our lives on a regular basis.   Maybe I'll even end them "may the force be with you"(probably not).

*Consider his attitude in contrast with that of very wise but humble Yoda.
**I think most diocesan priests do not take a vow of poverty because their mission is different from that of ordered priests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.