
The first meeting of our new homeschool book club--as yet unnamed--went off without a hitch. Three other families with kids from sixth grade down to preschool came to Casa Doyle for an introductory lesson on books. We learned book vocabulary, book classification, the elements of a story and tips for writing our own stories. It was fun and educational for all. In the aftermath, the girls and I are enjoying all of the books (30+) I checked out of the library for our "playing library" activity. Grace can now tell the difference between fiction and nonfiction and even Sophie is talking about choosing her book for our next meeting.
For me, it's not enough for our kids to develop a love of reading. I hope that they also learn to choose their books as carefully as they do their friends, focusing on the ones that will lead them closer to God. Our book club will be a great place to talk about those goals and learn, learn, learn--together.
I want in!!! I wonder if Hayden would be too wild and excited to sit still and read with all the other kids around...
ReplyDeleteAlice, you did a great job. I feel like these "clubs" are exactly what we need and are filling in any holes in our curriculum. Besides, it means we get to hang out more!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOnly removed because it was full of typos.
ReplyDeleteLet's try this again:
Sounds like fun! :o)
It's a shame we live so far from one another. Ella would really enjoy spending time with your girls. She loves books. We've been in Ohio for a month and the librarians know her name already :)
ReplyDelete