The seventh inning stretch--my "best" part
Continuing with the subject of un-schooling and kids being little sponges who learn without being tied down to desks for hours, I thought I'd share something that happened on Sunday. Chris and I went to the last home game of the Houston Astros with some good friends of ours. That was a lot of fun. Meanwhile, Grandpa Doyle (who wears a big S under his shirt for "Super Grandpa") took four of the kids to the Museum of Natural History. Grandma and Ella bonded at home. On the way to the museum, all of her sisters fell asleep so Madeleine spent the time making up a scavenger hunt for them to complete. I asked her where she got the idea and she told me that she's heard Grandma Kreitzer talk about taking Aunt Jamie on angel hunts at the art museum. Here's her list along with what they found:
1) Something with more than 100 bones--T-Rex
2) Something colorful--poisonous dart frog
3) Something really old--dinosaurs
4) Something pretty--butterflies (and they landed on their hands!)
5) Something in outer space--energy explosion
6) An animal--lion
7) Something Native American--thatched huts and teepees
8) Something Egyptian--?
9) Something from pre-historic times--wooly mammoth
10) Something cool and exciting--the gem exhibit (and there's one coming to Humble in November. We will definitely be there.)
I don't think our kids are unique in their love of learning and games. I think all kids are naturally curious and even creative. They just need the time and opportunity to explore. And what a great thing to have kids and therefore the excuse to do all of those fun things again!
There is an Egyptian mummy in there. Put in on your scavenger hunt for next time!!
ReplyDelete