Tomorrow, September 6th, is Grace's fifth birthday. One of our birthday traditions each year is a special outing with Mommy. I think it started with my taking the girls for birthday pictures. These days I do most of my own photography but the birthday girl and I still sneak away to celebrate her special day. For the past few years, Grace's big birthday request has been to go to Build-a-Bear. She loves her pal Ringo and always wants to pick out a new outfit or two or three for her--Mommy tries to stick to one. We had a lot of fun on this visit. Grace picked up a big basket and we went around the store putting every single thing in it that either of us liked. By the time we were ready to start narrowing down her choices, the basket was full. I laid everything out for her and she surprised me by quickly eliminating one thing after another. In the end, we bought Ringo one outfit, a pair of shoes, a pair of skates and a pink inflatable bed that now sits next to Grace in her top bunk.
One of the things I've noticed as the mom of a big family is that when I get the kids one on one or even two on one it's like a holiday. It's such an incredible treat. At one point yesterday I looked at Grace and felt for just a second exactly how much I love her. She is an amazing little person and I get to be her mom. What a blessing. So when we celebrate her life tomorrow, I will also be thanking God for choosing us as her parents and praying that we may be worthy of that calling.
Before we went to Build a Bear, Grace came with me to my hair appointment.
While we were there, we got Grace's hair trimmed too. She loved it.
I only met Grace once at Jamie's baby shower and Jonathan and I were so impressed with how articulate she was. We had a very nice conversation while we ate. Hope she has a great birthday!
ReplyDeleteHappy 5th Birthday, Grace!! I'm glad we got to spend so much time with you this year. I hope you're happier than a happy monkey on your special day!
ReplyDelete