Thursday, October 29, 2009

Say What You Need To Say

I recently received sad news about a family that is tangentially connected to ours--my brother's godparents' son's wife's sister (did you catch all of that) and her husband were killed in a car accident last week.  They left behind four daughters ages 13, 9, 3 and 18 months.  Tara was the one who told me about it and she and I talked about our own preparations--or lack there of--for such an event in our own lives.
Life and all of the good things in it like health and material possessions are so fragile.  St. Ignatius of Loyola taught that we should be as ready to accept sickness as health, poverty as riches and a short life as a long life.  What a difficult thing.  It's so much easier to praise and love God when things are going my way.  How do I approach Him when a terrible tragedy occurs like the one I mentioned?  Where was He when those children were orphaned?  And why did it happen?  Why that family?  Why?  Why?  Why? 
I have no answers.  I pray for the strength to be able to approach the Lord the way St. Ignatius did--completely open to His will for me, trusting in Him the way a child does her father and needing His love that sustains more than answers.  
That said, last week's tragedy was a big reminder to me to "say what you need to say"--today-- because there may not be any more tomorrows.  I urge you in these days leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas to "say what you need to say" too.  Say "thank you" and "please forgive me".  Say "I love you."  And please say a prayer for the Merrill family and those poor little girls.

2 comments:

  1. I had heard about the accident, but didn't learn about the connection until we saw Tara today at Brendan's football game. We'll be praying for the repose of the souls of these parents and for these little girls. Our Lady of Sorrows, watch over and comfort all the family and friends of the Merrills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah..i get that. I get the "easy to praise you when the sky is blue and the fields are green and ...there is life all around..." but how much more of a challenge in this life to find joy in the darkness. I will offer up my sorrow, esp. on all soul's day, and pray for the girls, for the friends who wonder why, and the faith to see how God makes all things new. blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.