So, I used to be a big movie buff. I don't really have a favorite movie although The Cutting Edge would be the winner if I were giving a prize for most viewings (try not to hold that against me). These days, I am all about TV. Not that I watch a lot of it but given the choice between a movie and a show we've DVR'd, I go for the show every time. The problem with movies is that they have to tell a complete story in an hour and a half, allowing for little character development and requiring quick wrap ups that often seem fake, shallow or impossible. Some movies do a great job of this but I am so often bored by them that we very rarely see movies in the theatre anymore. Now that we can DVR our shows and watch them without commercials, TV is the way to go--at least at Casa Doyle and, as I'm sure you know--I'm sure you know--House is number one with us with nary a close contender.
The thing about House is that they're in Season 6 and it's still getting better. Hugh Laurie's character has evolved into a newer, gentler House but is still interesting. The core team keeps changing and as of the last episode, we're back to the original team--a great thing. Of course, a new development in the plot may pull them apart again and that is the topic of this post.
Monday's show laid out the kind of moral dilemma that philosophy students study and discuss. The question is: do I have the right to kill another human being if it is likely that that person will go on to kill someone else, or even thousands of someone elses? And--let's say someone working under you decides to do just that. This person is a "good" person, a talented person who may go on to do great good for many others or who will rot in jail if you turn him in. What do you do?
I think it would be fun to start a House club. It would work like a book club except we would discuss different aspects of House. Most episodes leave me pondering so there's much food for thought. Of course, the problem would be finding enough other serious House fanatics to join because, you know, this is not just another television show.
Anyway, I think I've settled on my answers to the moral dilemma. I wonder how the writers will decide to handle it. And where will House himself weigh in? Tune in next week....
Raised Catholic, attended seminary before becoming a doctor
Will they chase him away for what he did?

dude..am i going to have to stop reading for fear of a spoiler? :) Mitch and i just jumped on the HOUSE wagon a few months ago, we are in season 2, last disc and waiting for it in the mail! (today).....i am having laurie withdrawals! But i'm so happy (how sad is this?) to have 3 seasons to catch up on! peace.
ReplyDeleteI KNEW you would post something on this! I did not like the episode. Putting aside the moral question of was he right or wrong, how do you move on from this and keep Chase around? Part of the reason why I like House is the humor (dark, but still funny.) This is no laughing matter, and you can't just go back to the way it was knowing what Chase did. So, to me it will take some serious writing to overcome this.
ReplyDeleteOn to the question at hand, it is absolutely wrong what Chase did, and as a former Seminarian (have they ever developed the story of why he left?) he should know that God can change men's hearts. It was likely that James Earl Jones' character was going to try to exterminate the Sibiti, but God could change him. How? How about Godly men and women working hard to save his life? Providing a humane example to follow? Prayer? Of course all of these are non-controversial, so it would NEVER be an option on a TV program. But in real life, these would be some of our only options.
There is a dark comedy called The Last Supper (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113613/) where a group of friends discuss this very thing. If you could go back in time and meet Hitler before he became "Hitler," would you kill him knowing what he would ultimately become? This discussion leads them to invite various people to their house for dinner and conversation. Based on the tone of the conversation they may feel so inclined to kill them for the betterment of the human race. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and I'm not 100% sure of how things pan out in the end, but it may make for an interesting movie night.
Regarding the Last Supper, not to be a spoiler, but they are liberals and I seem to recall they invite a priest over to quiz him on Abortion. Again, fuzzy on the exact details of what follows or even if the priest was presented in a true Catholic light.
ReplyDeleteI'm in for movie night. And even though I didn't write my opinion into the post, I agree with you 100% The end does not justify the means. Foreman has to give Chase up. That makes me sad because Chase is my favorite character, second only to House (and maybe Wilson). I have a feeling that Chase may give himself up if Foreman doesn't but we'll just have to wait and see...
ReplyDeleteThey might not even get to that if they don't figure out the mistake. I think House will step up at some point in this scenerio.
ReplyDelete