Friday, October 9, 2009

What I Like About You


Something happened in my Spanish class this week that has me thinking.  We are working on learning the meanings and forms of regular present tense verbs.  I like this part of the class because the possibilities for conversation explode.  It really gets fun.  I started off the lesson with the question "¿Qué te gusta hacer?" or "What do you like to do?"  I didn't tell the students what the question meant or even how to answer it but through a lot of miming and giving my own examples, they caught on.  I asked questions like "¿Te gusta bailar?" and "¿Te gusta nadar" (one student who answered yes to that question also told me that yes, he can swim faster than Michael Phelps).  Then I said, "levanta la mano si te gusta el español" (raise your hand if you like Spanish).  Most of the class raised their hands and I asked one woman who did not "¿Por qué estás aquí si no te gusta?".  She told me "I want to learn it."  I've been thinking about her answer.  I understand where she's coming from.  I chose Spanish in high school because I thought it would be easier than my other option--French--and I had a feeling it might be more useful.  (Little did I know that 9 years later that choice would lead me to my sweet husband.)  I didn't learn much in my four years of high school Spanish and barely tested into an accelerated first year class when I got to the University of Virginia.  For some reason, I stuck with it but I doubt I would have said I liked Spanish until...I did.  And once I did, I really started to learn.  I became interested enough to look up unfamiliar words in the dictionary.  I started noticing and appreciating the differences between Spanish and English and recognizing that Spanish has some expressions that convey exactly what I want to say in a way that English does not ("tener ganas" comes to mind).  After all of my years of studying Spanish, it was only when I stopped being a reluctant student and opened my heart to the task that I really started to learn.  
I think it's the same way with people.  Have you ever heard someone say, "I don't really like her but I love her".  That always makes me wonder a bit.  I know what that means--that you can behave in a loving way without really wanting to.  That's Stephen Covey's first habit.  But can you really love another person in the way God wants us to love without liking him at all?  I know if someone in my life were to tell me, "I don't like you but I'll always love you", I'd respond, "Well, thanks but no thanks.  I prefer to be around people who like me."  Who wants to be with someone who's there out of pity or obligation?   I know if I take the time to look for something to like about even the more challenging people in my life, I always find it--and more.  When I do, my heart opens and great things happen.
Next week in class, my students will be getting a sheet entitled "Señora Doyle's List of Things To Like About Spanish".  Hopefully they can pick out one or two things to inspire them to learn, learn, learn (and, if they're lucky, get an A)!


1 comment:

  1. I like this post, very thought provoking and true! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.