Thursday, October 8, 2009

Partying St. Francis Style

October 4th was not only my parents' fortieth anniversary (photos of that celebration coming soon), it was also the feast of St. Francis.  Our homeschool group had a party at a local park a few days ahead of time to celebrate.

I think St. Francis may have loved dogs, parrots and butterflies best of all.

Madeleine read a children's biography of St. Francis.  
She even made up questions as a kind of quiz at the end.


One party goer sported these pants.
Don't you love baby booties?

So, St. Francis is a much beloved saint for many reasons.  I love his prayer.  For me, it is a recipe for happiness.  It is about focusing on others' needs and having my own taken care of in the process.  

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

The prayer reminds me of a story I've heard about the difference between heaven and hell.  If you could glance in on hell, you would see a banquet table full of food where everyone has a super long fork--much too long to use to feed oneself.  The people are sitting around hungry and miserable trying to figure out how to feed themselves.  A glimpse into heaven reveals people sitting around the same kind of table.  The difference?  Everyone is using the super long fork to feed someone else.  Everyone is happy and well-fed.  
I like that analogy and try to ask myself--especially when I'm down, discouraged or feeling unappreciated--how can I feed someone else today?  Time and again I find that if I make the first move toward peace or friendship, I am met more than halfway.  More than anything, I desire to radiate the peace, love and joy of the Lord.  I know that none of those things originate in me and the best thing I can do is to let Him shine through me.  I pray everyday for the grace to push pride aside so that can happen.

Some berries we've been seeing at the park lately.  The girls love the color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.