Sunday, March 20, 2011

In Need of a Grandmother

Lately I have been finding myself very much in need of....a grandmother.  Of course, like most of you, I have two grandmothers.  Mine are both named Margaret and both are in heaven by now after dying of cancer in 1999 and 2002.  I feel blessed to have known them for at least a bit of my adult life.  That's more time than many people get.  Still, it wasn't long enough.
So really--tell me--when does a girl stop needing a grandma?  A woman who is--old-fashioned, who understands about good manners and values in-person relationships over online ones.  Someone with wrinkles and laugh lines, the most beautiful woman I know because of her character and a lifetime of good living.  Someone with plenty of secrets about how to do and make all kinds of things.  Someone whose opinion I trust.  Someone who still makes the time for a long, handwritten letter.  Someone with a little padding for the best hugs around.  Someone who takes life as it comes, consistently and with a great sense of humor.  Someone who shows me how to grow old gracefully.  Someone who has walked with God for awhile and shares her wisdom.  Someone who believes I'm better than I really am.  Someone who loves fiercely and forever.
I was telling my SIL Jes the other day that when I think of the three babies we lost, I always imagine them with my two grandmas.  And when I think of dying--something that I'm ashamed to admit really scares me--I always hope that my grandmas will take my hand and show me the way.
Still, I wish they were here on earth today in flesh and blood.  Now that I am in the throes of mid-life and the real guts of parenthood, I long for their wisdom, their patience and their long perspective.  I also know my life would be so much richer if I could call and hear Grandma Schneider talk about the birds or recite one of the hundreds of poems she knew by heart.  And what I wouldn't give to climb into one of the beds in the house my dad helped build on Cherry Hill Road after eating the popsicles, pot pies and pop tarts Grandma Kreitzer always stocked for us.  Even so many years later, those treats equal love for me.
There really is no one like a grandma and I miss mine so much.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Alice. This was a great tribute to your grandmothers. I miss my mother and my grandmothers, too. So you see, a girl never stops needing her grandmothers--I still think of mine often.
    Love you,
    Aunt Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandmothers and Grandfathers can be found in generally good supply at old folks homes and they would be grateful for the visiting. We have a elderly center near our college which is always encouraging young people to come by. You might consider a little project (home school reach out because a lot of times the old people like to see children) encourage them to tell stories and you can reciprocate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they do that already, Ray. Nice, but not the same.

    I hope your little ones have the same fond memories of their grandmothers that you do, Alice. We just had Tara's four here and none of them wanted to go home. That always makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Alice - what a beautiful tribute to your Grandma's. I should have waited to read this at home because I'm sitting here at work with big tears just streaming down my face. I miss my Mom every day, she was the most spectacular woman that I ever knew. Thank you for the gentle reminders and impact my Mom had on you. I can only hope and pray that Ella (and all my future grandbabies)have some of the same,fond memories of me that you had of my Mom. Thank you Alice for this blog. You are so awesome - I'm so proud of you. Love you bundles. Hugs and Kisses XOXOXOXO Aunt Libby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely written, Alice. Thank you so much for such a heartfelt tribute. I miss my mother and grandmothers too and I'd give anything to be able to talk to them again. There are things I'd like to know about, (such as who is this in this photo?) but sadly there is no one left to ask.
    I've tried very hard to give my grandchildren good memories of me and I would be thrilled if someday one of them wrote about me in this way.

    I, too, hope that when I die Mom and Grandma Trischler will be among the ones who lead me home.

    Love ya,
    Aunt Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to everyone who commented. This post is one of those special ones that really wrote itself and I'm glad you were all able to read it. That means a lot to me. Love you all. Alice

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.