Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Modest Adventure

So, last Thursday, Chris and I tried to squeeze in an important errand before I dropped him off at the airport to fly to Seattle.  We needed to pick out colors and tile sizes for a kitchen project we're having done this week.  Our contractor, Luís, has a shop just a half hour drive from our home.  Along the way, we must have crossed an imaginary line and I could have sworn we were in the middle of Mexico.  Mexican grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, garages and taquerías were everywhere.  Every sign was in Spanish.  Morticia, our tempermental GPS, was off her game and we didn't find Luís shop in time to meet him before Chris flight.  We did find an enormous piñata for Mia's birthday next week and some excellent tacos at The Porky Feliz, a stand I had to twist Chris' arm to stop at.  (A definite "I told you so" moment for me--not that I ever say that :)
Fast forward two days.  All of us piled back in the car to make the trip again.  We returned to The Porky Feliz but this time, instead of taking the food to go, sat at their picnic tables and ate a whole lot of wonderful, authentic Mexican food.  The owner even gave us a cup of their delicious charro beans--gratis.  The whole experience was a great field trip after the semester we spent focusing on Spanish.  The girls had fun using the few words they know and meeting some real live (and very friendly) spanish-speakers.
At Luís shop, Chris and I quickly made choices while the girls made friends with Luís' dog Brando.  After being the center of their attention for twenty minutes, he was sad to see us leave.
Our new counters are being installed on Friday.  This is just another step on the road to selling our house this spring.  We came very close last year with two different families and the counter tops are the one thing our agent recommended we change before trying again.  I will try not to get too attached to them so that I can happily leave them behind.  Stay tuned for photos.








Adios amigos.

1 comment:

  1. Yum...we had tacos for dinner last night, but they didn't look nearly as good.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.