I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit
Today is the five year anniversary of Sophie's baptism. I know that because, in the course of cleaning and organizing, I came across a photo CD marked with the date that my friend Amity gave me years ago. Amity and her husband purchased a DSLR right before the big day, and, lucky us, she practiced on us and got some terrific shots.
Things I remember about today's date five years ago:
*At three months, Sophie was the oldest of the five girls on her baptismal date. My godmother, my aunt Peggy, made the special gown for Madeleine in 1994 who was baptized on New Year's Day at three days old. It was a perfect fit for her. I don't think I was able to close it around Sophie's neck!
*There were as many non-catholics as Catholics at Sophie's baptism. Our friends Beth and John who were also our neighbors, came with their kids and Amity and her family came. Almost all of the friends we made in Beaumont were whole family friends. We knew each other's kids, spouses, the whole nine yards. Being so far from home, Chris and I loved that. It was truly a unique situation that we appreciate even more as we look back on it.
*Sophie's godparents, Hope and Ralph looked as proud as we did through the whole thing--an indication of the kind of friends they are. Oh--and we were even at their house when I went into labor with Sophie twelve days early.
*The more kids we've had, the more special the baptisms as the big sisters participate in welcoming their baby sister into the Church. Sophie's was truly awesome as you can see from all the beautiful pictures.
I hope you enjoy them. I included a lot so they'd make it into the blog book whenever Jes does volume 10 :) (HA!)
Miss Mary
I think Chris met her through his adoration hour. She became like an adopted grandma to the girls. She made them each a blanket and she made gorgeous wreaths for our hospital door when Grace and Sophie were born. She also came over and taught us how to make Crawfish Etouffee. It was wonderful but I haven't tried to make it since. Not the same.
Hope's oldest daughter Rome with Mia and G
Now a grown up college student
our babysitter Lauren who insisted on calling me ma'am even when I threatened to dock her pay.
All of the girls loved her, Madeleine in particular.
Baby G with the Lost Beatle as Chris likes to call Ralph and Hope's son Christian.
This is pre-hair in the eyes.
Beth holding baby Sophie
The compulsory football game
It happens whenever we get together with Hope, Ralph and gang.
Our house in Beaumont had the perfect side yard for any field game we dreamed up.
I wish I could see G's face. Not really sure what Ralph is doing.
Meanwhile, Beth and Hope are just where they were.
Sophie is definitely captivating (still is).
John and Grace
Hope doing "nanny" (Louisianneeze for god-mommy) duty.
Revisiting these photos has reminded me that there are some people I need to get in touch with.
Why is it so hard sometimes to do the most important things?
I resolve to do one important thing tomorrow. A good start anyway.
Take good care. See you back here soon.
Your kids looked so little. I can't believe we had our children so close together. The Grace/Sophie pair were close! So cute. You also looked great after just having a baby. I hate the baptism pictures because I have to be in them but still have the fat cheeks.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how fast they are all growing! Miss you guys.
great picts!
ReplyDelete