Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Too Much

So today, I did something that I think would have left most parents feeling very sorry for my kids.  I boxed up every one of their toys minus a princess castle and figures, two animals or dolls each and a couple of dress up outfits.  All of the rest of their worldly possessions besides clothing will be waiting for them in storage until they decide they want to take care of them.  By taking care of them, I mean putting them in a place where they can find them instead of stuffing them under the bed, in the laundry hamper or some other spot from which I will eventually have to rescue them.
Over my sixteen years of being a mom, I have developed a bit of a philosophy around kids' toys and possessions and I am actually surprised that it has taken me this long to take this drastic step.  I often hear my friends and other moms I meet along the way lamenting their kids' lack of responsibility around cleaning up and caring for their stuff.  Like me, they just want their kids to "be responsible".  In thinking about it though, I started to wonder whose fault it really is that the toys get lost or left out in the rain.  Maybe the kids never signed on for the enormous amount of stuff they have to care for.  Sure they want it but do they want to take care of it?
I saw a backpack advertised in Pottery Barn Kids recently.  It had a pocket for a lap top, a Nintendo DS, an ipod, a cell phone and a few other things I don't remember.   My only thought was "poor kids having to keep track of all that stuff".
Our girls honestly play with anything.  One of Ella's favorite games (much to my dismay) is to go shopping or play library with the books in the dining room.  The other girls do more coloring and crafts and playing outside than anything else.  Still, I have been getting very tired lately of pulling things out from under their beds and dressers and hanging up oodles of dress up stuff over and over and over again.  So for Lent at least, we're minimalists.  Think Little House on the Prairie.  They will earn things back as they take care of the things they have, do their chores and avoid fighting with their sisters.  To be honest with you though, I think they'll forget about any of the stuff I boxed up by the day after tomorrow.  Like their mama, they love their clean room.  And now that it will only take them about five minutes to keep it clean, they can move on to other, more important things.

And speaking of important things, a few photos from tonight's mardi gras celebration.

tacos YUM





the whole gang in disguise

love this girl

for you mama

I hope you all have a blessed start to the Lenten season.  Remember that as we sacrifice and strive to live up to our baptismal promises, we do it together.  We are each God's "Beloved" and Jesus would have died for any one of us even if we were the only one.  Do you believe that?  The very thought amazes me.

See you back here soon (and hungry :)  Alice

1 comment:

  1. If that's all the toys that your kids had, then I don't think you had too much to complain about! It's funny because I actually have toys for other people's kids. Mine don't ever bother with them, but other kids (like yours) want something to play with and I feel bad when we have nothing fun. But, we're slowing getting rid of stuff anyway, and we don't get a lot of toys to replace them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.