Saturday, March 19, 2011

Afternoon at the HB

So, today, while our kitchen was getting a big facelift, five of the six Doyle Dames got all dolled up and headed downtown for an afternoon at the ballet.  It was a bit of a last minute thing.  Late in the week, while Chris and I were fast forwarding through commercials during our regular show, we caught an ad for the Houston Ballet's production of Sleeping Beauty.  The next day, thinking of Sophie's particular love for that princess, I checked out the details and found that ticket prices were very steep.  I told Chris it was a no go.  He decided to do some calling on deals through Shell and, like a true Prince Charming, came through for us.                                                                  Not surprisingly, of the five of us, Madeleine and I got the most out of the ballet.  Sophie was next up in enthusiasm, wanting to return some time soon.  Mia and Grace thought it was "good but too long". Which was true.  There were three intermissions and the finale alone lasted forty-five minutes.  It was definitely a marathon performance.  The girls also struggled to understand the story in the absence of dialogue.  The obvious parts like when the prince killed the bad fairy and kissed Sleeping Beauty, were their favorites.  I delighted in the beauty of the production as a whole--the set, the costumes, the music, the grace and the way the company was able to dance so much in sync.  Truly incredible.
I believe this ballet was a first for all of us--myself included.  I saw a lot of plays as a kid because my aunt was in "the business" but I never went to a ballet.  I'm sure Chris is sad to hear that I liked it as much as I did because that means there will probably be a few ballets in his future.  Of course if we alternate them with trips to Minute Maid Park, he may be just fine.

 I like this picture a lot despite the problem with the focus.
I would really like to get a lens that performs better in very low light for times like this afternoon.
I used the flash on the picture above of Madeleine, Mia and Sophie and as you can see, it totally wiped out the curtain in the background.

 More blurs--"sister love"

Out front
The HB will have a new home as of the second week in April so if we do come back, it won't be to this theatre.  I thought it was gorgeous and can't imagine how they'll improve on it.

 It was almost dinner time when we left the theatre so I drove us over to Rice Village.
We ate at Le Madeleine and shopped at Half Price Books.
I bought a CD of recordings of Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales by famous folks for $5.48.  We listened to it all the way home.  It's really great.  I also bought a few other children's books on CD.  I am always amazed by the selection and prices at HPB.  $9.99 for unabridged recordings of The Secret Garden and The Wind in the Willows.  Our drive to VA this year is pretty much taken care of.
Oh and I took the above picture because I love the manicure Sophie gave herself recently--not so much the mess in my bathroom.

 Sophie the bird stalker.  She does this everywhere we go.

 picture of the bird stalker with Grace doing some bird stalking behind her

And another one, wind blowing.
Mi Bella SofĂ­a

See you back here next time.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice afternoon. How do your countertops look? Post some pics. Our bathroom counter is gorgeous, but I'm making everyone wait for pics until the project is done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun outing. We should be doing things like that now that we are retired. Somehow we don't do much. Gotta change that!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.