That was the scene at Casa Doyle this past weekend when M and M Rouselle hosted Team 8 at our house due to a semi-gutted kitchen at their own abode. I suggested the move outside because Chris and I had just hosted in February and I thought a change of scenery would be good for everyone. Café Rouselle served the best shrimp jambalaya I've ever tasted and the air was just right for us to see the steam rising off our dinners as we settled in for a wonderful night. As it turned out, one of the couples had a big announcement for the group--a move to Singapore. And while the light of the stars and candles created an intimate warmth, there was enough darkness to hide red eyes and tears.
What a gift this Team has been to us. A true christian community. Knowing each member of our Team has made me a better person. They all know and love God and want to be better people, spouses, parents, christians. Each one is so very special to me.
Madeleine looked out an upstairs window at some point Friday night and said the scene was magical, like fairyland. Or maybe heaven. At the very least, heaven-ly. I think that about sums it up.
Tonight, Chris I reset the scene for an at-home date. Between his travel and a couple of sick girls, we haven't gotten out for a date since maybe Valentine's Day. Fortunately, that never stops us from making the effort to connect. Our favorite is take out from Carrabas, great atmosphere and good conversation. The possibilities for fun at-home dates are truly endless. In fact, thanks to a blogger I recently started checking in on, I may have a new idea. She talked about wanting to build a fort with her brand new hubby and posted this photo:
How romantic and fun does that look? Even without the boat, that could get very interesting. If you have any creative at-home date ideas of your own, please share. Otherwise, see you back here soon.
Happy Monday everyone!

How spoiled you are - no date since Valentine's Day. We haven't either, and I have yet to think that's it has been too long. Just the norm! Can I have a 16-year old living in my house?
ReplyDeleteLooks like a nice in-house date, though. Maybe when it finally gets warm enough here, Dave and I can set a similar scene.
Actually, it's harder to get out now that we don't have an outside regular babysitter on the schedule two to three times a month. Because Madeleine babysits for several families we know, something will often come up for one of them that is more important than whatever we have planned. That is what happened this weekend actually. We were supposed to go out Saturday night but another couple had a reunion with college friends so we shifted to an at home date for this week. And most of the time that's fine. I had a much greater need to actually escape for a few hours when the girls were littler. Now, I am trying to increase our repertoire of at home date ideas to fit where we are right now.
ReplyDeleteWe have always emphasized dating though. Because it's important to us, we make it a priority. I know other couples who are fine with a two times a year type of approach for reasons of money, babysitters etc. and if it works, that's great. I think it's good to know though that great dates can be had by all because it's primarily about setting aside the time. After that, it can be anything from coffee to scrabble to the best restaurant in town--whatever fits for you and your marriage.
Hey Jes,
ReplyDeleteYou've got babysitters in Woodstock. Just meet us at the Apple House and you can not only have a night out but come home to quiet with only Coda and kitty to disturb the peace.