Monday, March 2, 2009

Little House


Another All-of-a-Kind family

I grew up watching Little House on the Prairie.  I remember sitting on our hearth every Monday night and watching with my mom who always folded laundry while she watched.  We also watched the Dukes of Hazzard as a family.  Now that I'm the mom of five girls though, I have an urge to throw a big blanket over Daisy (It's official--I have turned into my mother.  I love you, Mom!).
At the Doyle house, Fridays are family nights.  Usually, we watch Little House.  We're on Season Five and since Santa always brings our newest season, that means we've been watching for five years.  In that time, Chris and I have observed a few things about Michael Landon's character.  First, he always has a clean, pressed shirt on which is interesting since he's a farmer.  Second, he can summon a few tears no matter what the occasion and third, he always knows exactly what to do and say.  Chris jokes that when a tough parenting issue comes up, he asks himself "what would Michael Landon do?"  One year for Father's Day, I gave him a key chain with "WWMLD".  Unfortunately, he lost it so he doesn't have the daily reminder.  
Even so, we are big fans of Little House and are constantly amazed at the persistent christian message.  Wouldn't it be great if there were more shows like that?

1 comment:

  1. Somebody gave us the Dukes of Hazzard awhile back and I was shocked at what was on it. I never saw any of those episodes. Turns out it was the first season and they tamed it down later. I used to love Rosco and Boss Hog -- they were so darn funny. And Uncle Jessie -- he was a good, warm-hearted dad figure. But Little House and The Waltons were my all-time favorites.

    Glad to hear turning into your mom doesn't seem to make you want to hide under the bed with your thumb in your mouth. I keep turning into my kids -- well at least I wear a lot of their old clothes (or did until I got too fat - sigh).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.