The female half of the SMM track team + a small tag-along
When Madeleine decided two weeks into softball season to toss her glove and run track instead, Chris and I were happy for a couple of reasons. First, softball was a four day after school, two games a week sport that dominated our spring schedule. Track on the other hand practices during PE class and competes on five Saturdays throughout the spring. And, being runners ourselves, Chris and I enjoy seeing her develop her talent in this area.
Yesterday was her first track meet. Chris and I decided not to try to take all of the kids and I was elected to drive the 45 minutes to the meet. I decided to take Grace along with me because she had a bit of a rough week last week and I thought she could use some one-on-one time. She also has been asking me to take her Build-a-Bear friend Ringo in to get her ear fixed and choose a new sound button, so I thought we could make a stop at the mall on the way home.
We arrived at the meet at 10:30 and Madeleine's first event was supposed to be at 11:15. It ended up starting at 1:15 and she didn't finish her last event until after 5:30. One long day. It was wonderful though. When she ran her first event, the 4 x 100 meter relay, I thought I was going to cry. She did so well, and I was incredibly proud of her. She also ran the 800 and the 400. She hung back at the start of both races and proceeded to move up in the pack finishing in the top three and four (there were about 12 girls in each race). It was the first time she'd run either race and I am excited to watch how she improves as she learns race strategy and continues to train.
Grace and I had a great time together. I'd brought her Bob books and we worked on her reading. I read to her from another book and then she played in the field next to the track long enough for me to get some work done on my class. One of her games was to pretend she was racing. She sprinted up and down the field about 30 times. In all, she may have run as much as her big sister!
"Can we go home now?" "Just another six hours, G"
On the field with Coach Walsh
Mr. Walsh is jack-of-all-trades when it comes to coaching.
I think he coaches every sport at the school.
He was Madeleine's softball coach last year.
Starting the third leg of the 4 x 100 relay.
Madeleine put them in a good position to finish first in their heat.
Two Doyle dolls
The beginning of the 800. Madeleine is in the rear.
Starting to move up at the end of the first 400
Finishing strong. I have a picture of her with this same face of determination
at the Liberty kids run when she was about six.
Me and my Gracie
I took this video after Grace had done this about 25 times. She starts off saying "honk" which is hard to hear. I thought this was cute but it may be one of those had-to-have-been-there or had- to-be-her-mom things!
Good run, Grace! (And Madeleine too -- woo hoo!)
ReplyDeleteWish we could make it to a track meet, Miss Madeleine. She ran Dave's race - the 800. Good luck the rest of the season.
ReplyDeleteMadeleine placed in the 800! She found out today at school and is sporting a beautiful white ribbon for sixth! Not bad at all for her first meet.
ReplyDelete