Monday, March 16, 2009

Seabrook Half Marathon Relay


So-- the results are in.  Chris and I finished 6th out of 37 relay teams in Seabrook on Saturday.  Our time was 1:54:16.  I ran my half in 1:05:40 and Chris ran his in 48 and change.  We broke our overall goal of two hours but I missed my individual goal by 40 seconds.  If only I could have hired a dog to chase me at the end!
Given the course, Chris counts my time as a goal met.  I am calling it the all-terrain race.  We ran on concrete, a sand/gravel path, two wet, wooden, very slippery bridges, across a grass field and through a muddy swamp area.  The race was an out and back so we were running single file on the path most of the time which made it difficult to pass.  All excuses I know.  I will be training harder for my next race.
My personal debate before this race was whether or not to run with my ipod.  I had never used it during a race before and I have this image of hard core runners--they don't run with ipods.  When I asked my sister Tara though, she said that was silly and she definitely voted for the ipod.  Since it was a long race, I took her advice.  Chris made me a surprise race day mix.  OAR's "Hey Girl" made me pick up my pace a bit and I smiled when I heard "Brickhouse" by the Commodores because that's Baby G's theme song--don't ask--and I could just picture her while I ran.
The hardest thing about Saturday for me was the temperature.  It was 38 degrees and windy.  About two years into living in Texas, I became a big baby about the cold.  At the race, I was fine while I was running but before and after, I was pretty miserable.  I was glad we had decided to bring only Mia and Madeleine with us.
Madeleine was our photographer for the day and she did a good job.  Mia, despite her mom's allegations of not being a morning person, woke up at 5:00 A.M. happy and ready to go.  Chris and I enjoyed our day of being parents of two but were glad to get back to the rest of the gang later on.

I can smell the finish but still can't see it

I finished ahead of the woman in yellow.  She had passed me several times during the race so I set a mini-goal of crossing the line before her.

Mia holds out a hand to high five her Daddy

Chris was tearing it up.  He came in well before I expected him.

Dos (bedraggled) Jayhawks

A post-race lunch

Our tired Madeleine took a few naps before we headed off to a nice dinner with friends

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME job guys! It looks like that was a really fun race, the race bib was especially cool. Can't wait to do some running when we're out there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.