Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thank you, Misty!

Proud of her masterpiece

On Friday, my friend Misty hosted our homeschool group activity and taught us how to make bread.  There were a lot of kids participating--maybe 15--but Misty did a great job of handling the crowd.  The group worked outside on large plastic sheets.  We all brought our own mixing and measuring items and the kids worked in pairs.  I didn't know that bread making is so tricky and easy to get wrong so I learned as much as the kids.  While the bread was rising, we did the Stations of the Cross.  Misty had hung beautiful pictures of each station around her yard and we used a children's version to make it more understandable to the kids. The initial reward for all our work was the wonderful smell of the bread baking.  The Doyle family came home with one finished loaf and one yet to rise and bake--Grace's had fallen on the floor on the way to the kitchen but it turned out fine.  
I can't say that the experience has me convinced to bake my own bread on a regular basis (there's that patience problem again--it took three hours!) but I can see why Misty does and I truly appreciate all she taught the kids about bread making and the make-up of food in general.  She is a dietician by training and plans on holding more cooking classes in the near future.  We'll be there with aprons on (I'll need to buy them first)!

Grace cuddles her bread baby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.