Friday, February 27, 2009

Saints and Angels


I've always loved reading stories of the saints.  When I was growing up, my parents had a set of Butler's Lives of the Saints in the living room, and I remember getting it out and reading one story after another.  I've always been drawn to Saints Thomas More and Maximillian Kolbe.  Thomas More is my favorite saint of all time, and I almost chose him as my confirmation saint but in the end wanted to go with a woman and chose St. Joan of Arc.  I like Thomas More because he was an educated, wealthy man of importance in the eyes of the world yet when he had to choose, he readily gave up his title and possessions.  He tried to stay out of trouble politically by being quiet and minding his own business and did not seek martyrdom.  When he was forced to make a choice though, he stood up for the Church and the sacrament of marriage and went, sense of humor intact, to his death.  
The girls and I are just finishing a childrens' biography of St. Therese the little flower.  I picked it up thinking it might help tame my wild ladies a bit but ironically, I think the book was meant for their mama.  I read The Story of a Soul and was impressed but really couldn't relate to Therese.  She was a sensitive child, the youngest in her family and entered the convent at age 15.  She never knew serious sin and died at age 24.  Reading this book to the girls though, I see her in a different light and have been amazed at her incredible wisdom.  I can't believe I didn't get her teachings before.  She wasn't learned in the sense that Thomas More was but she was immensely wise--one of those paradoxes I love.  If you read my post a few days ago about my struggle with patience, you know that I have plenty of opportunities daily to practice Therese's Little Way.  I am also inspired by her attitude toward work.  There are many jobs intertwined with the roles I play in life that I just don't like.  I won't give a laundry list but I'll mention one--cooking.  I really don't love anything involved with cooking--planning, shopping, putting groceries away or cooking itself.  I admire women who were born loving all things domestic.  That is not me.  In fact, if I went with my natural inclination, I would be looking at hungry faces all the time.  Work really isn't about pleasure and fulfillment though.  First, it's a "have to" and a duty (I realize that this isn't a popular idea).  Pleasure and fulfillment usually come but it's admirable to persevere without those things.  Therese's life is a model of this.  She actually desired work that she didn't like so she could offer it to the Lord.  She's a perfect role model not only for women but for so many men I know who shoulder their responsibilities as head and provider for the household, enduring long hours, long commutes and, let's face, sometimes boring work with little recognition.  These unsung heroes are following in the footsteps of St. Joseph and St. Therese, working in the Lord's vineyard and I am so grateful for them.

Grace at an All Saints Day party.  She went as her Guardian Angel.

Sophie went as Mary, Queen of all Saints but covered up her costume because she was cold.

Flying Angel.  Mia went as St. Michael the Archangel.

2 comments:

  1. St. Therese is one of our favorite saints. Ashley has her doll and so does Paige.

    Ever heard of St. Maria Goretti? She's really neat too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Alice. My spiritual director recommended Thomas More's book, The Sadness of Christ, as Lenten reading. I just ordered two copies for me and Dad. If you want I'll send you one when we finish it.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.