Sunday, February 8, 2009

In Training


My runners

For as long as I've known him, Chris has been into fitness and running.  Of course, that's part of being a Marine but even as a civilian, Chris makes it a priority to stay in shape.  
As I've mentioned in previous posts, I gave Chris a running watch for Christmas.  It helps him keep track of all of the details of his runs and has taken his love of running to a new level.  
After getting the watch, he started a website where he, my brother David, my sister Tara and my mom keep track of their runs, times, conditions when they ran and other miscellaneous things.  (My mom is actually a walker and does her dam walk- notice, no "n"- as often as she can).  I haven't joined because I'm in an "ignorance-is-bliss" stage with my running.  I don't want to know if I ran my route slower than last week.  I will be training for a couple of 5ks soon though so that will change.
Kingwood's Bridgefest happened this weekend.  It's sponsored by the YMCA and includes a 5k, a mile and a half mile.  Chris signed Madeleine, Mia and Grace up.  He took it pretty seriously both for himself and the girls and had them at the track training several times before race day.  I was a little worried about Mia because she complained of leg pain after her runs but she ended up being the fastest girl there.  Grace is a good little runner and did her half mile without stopping every time Chris took her out.  She did ask us whether she was going to bleed at the race.  That confused us until we remembered that she had seen our friend Ralph bleeding at the end of the Houston Marathon.  We were very surprised when she didn't place in her age group race day.
I love that Chris encourages the girls to get out there, set goals and achieve them.  The Doyles are definitely turning into a running family!  (Stay tuned for race day news!)

Finding the satellite
On your mark, get set...(not sure what Grace is doing)

Grace started off at a sprint despite Daddy's reminder to pace herself

Coming down the home stretch

You can do it, G!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post!! The top picture is so great. I'm going to hire Chris to coach my kids when we come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to be home for the Liberty 5k? I was thinking about doing it though I'll probably be a walk/runner since I can't run down hills etc with my knees. Cute blog though- lots of little runners- I love the pic with Grace's feet off the ground...good job catching that one =)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.