
Little Grace
A week or so ago, I wrote a pollyanna post (Otherwise) about embracing change and moving hopefully into the future (It was pretty cheesy. I'm surprised the blog police didn't shut me down!) The post was a commentary on my sister Tara's blog header "You're Gonna' Miss This" and basically restated Steven Covey's first habit--you choose your response to what happens to you in life. We all know people who live this principle. They tend to be people we admire. And what I said was true, we can choose how we respond to change. What I didn't say though is that there's no way to Stephen Covey our way out of the pain and loss involved in the passage of time. We lose people we love-- both to death and to personal evolution, as new selves emerge from old ones and-- it hurts.
I heard a country song the other day that made my eyes water. It's not a new song but it's new to me and I've listened to it about a hundred times since then. The title says it all- it's about loving our babies and letting them be little because they'll be grown and gone before we know it. I recommend getting out a stack of old photos of your kids and putting this song on repeat. If you're anything like me, you'll be choked up, hugging your little ones and maybe spoiling them a little bit more.
I'm posting the words here but you definitely need to hear the song if you haven't already (I like Billy Dean's version better than Lonestar's). And Tara, FYI, I've set it as your ringtone.
Let Them Be Little
Billy Dean

I can remember when you fit in the palm of my hand
You felt so good in it, no bigger than a minute.
How it amazes me, you're changin' with every blink
Faster than a flower blooms, they all grow up too soon.
So let them be little
Cause they're only that way for awhile.
Give 'em hope, give them praise,
Give them love every day.
Let 'em cry, let 'em giggle,
Let 'em sleep in the middle,
Oh but let them be little.
I never felt so much in one little tender touch
I live for those kisses, your prayers and your wishes.
An' now you're teachin' me how only a child can see
Tonight while we're on our knees, all I ask is:

Please let them be little
Cause they're only that way for awhile
Give them hope, give them praise
Give them love every day.
Let 'em cry, let 'em giggle
Let 'em sleep in the middle
Oh, but let them be little.

The so innocent, precious soul;
You turn around an' it's time to let them go.
So let them be little
'Cause they're only that way for awhile
Give them hope, give 'em praise
Give them love every day.
Let 'em cry, let 'em giggle
Let them sleep in the middle,
Oh, but let them be little.

Let them be little.
I love this song and these pictures of your kids, Alice. I've really enjoyed keeping up with you guys by checking in on your blog whenever I have the time. Tell the kids congratulations on the race they ran. Debbie's kids like to do triathlons. Keep up the blog...don't know how you have the time with five kids, but I'm impressed you do!!
ReplyDeleteSue