Monday, February 16, 2009

Special Feast Day


Grace presents the flowers

If someone were to ask me why we homeschool, I'd have a hard time coming up with one reason.  I can tell you that we don't homeschool to try to protect our kids from the big bad world and kids that would somehow corrupt them because frankly, they do a good job of corrupting each other at home.  One thing that would come to my mind though is the teaching of the Catholic faith.  One of the promises we made on our wedding day was to welcome children and raise them in the faith and I love that we are doing that ourselves at home.  In fact, Religion is a subject that I find easy to teach.  I sometimes have to use all my willpower to make it through Math because of the tedious curriculum we chose but Religion is easy.  I remember the bible stories my mom used to tell to pass the time on long car trips and now I do that or ask catechism questions on a daily basis.  The kids have started quizzing each other. Just today Grace asked Sophie, "Why do we go to Mass?"
Homeschooling makes it easier to celebrate feast days both because we have the time and we get reminders from activities we do like Tuesday Eucharistic Adoration.  Last week was the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes.  The kids love the story of Bernadette and were very excited to buy flowers for Mary.  Our Mary statue was a birthday gift to me from Chris the year after we were married.  I love it because it is a statue of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  It's small and beautiful.  It has a bit of a history.  Mia accidently smacked it one day while swinging a stick around and the head fell off.  We had her repaired but they had to paint her to hide the crack.  She went from concrete grey to off white and I actually like her better that way.
We had a little service to present the flowers to Mary.  Lest you think our kids are saintly though, you should know that two of them were sent to bed right afterward for disobedience.  SIGH.  We pray to Mary all the time for protection for our lovely, strong-willed girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.