Sunday, February 8, 2009

Bridgefest 2009

We were all so happy for Mia

Saturday morning, we got up early for the race.  The atmosphere at the Y was fun and all of the girls were excited for their runs.  My father-in-law Jack was there to help me with Sophie and Ella so that I could take pictures.  As it turned out, I'd forgotten to charge my camera battery so I only got a few but we were glad to have him there anyway.  
Mia and Grace ran the first race, the half mile, with Mia taking first in her age group.  Madeleine ran the mile and did well but hadn't trained and had a bit of trouble pacing herself for the distance.
Chris' goal was to run the 5k in 21 minutes.  He missed it by 7 seconds and has been lamenting it ever since.  I told him that his new obsession with running is starting to feel like a mid-life crisis.  Of course, it's probably my fault since I gave him a book by Dean Karnazes, a crazy guy who ran 50 marathons in 50 days and did other insane things having to do with running.  I'm grateful that Chris hasn't donned gardening shoes and run 30 miles in his boxers in the middle of the night!
Anyway, the Bridgefest was tons of fun for all and the girls left wanting more.  Madeleine has already decided to train for the Liberty 5k we'll run in VA on the fourth of July.  The big question:  will she beat her mama?

Madeleine gets ready

Daddy helps Mia

Look at all those kids!

There goes Grace

Madeleine at the finish

Chris at the start.  He's in the back middle with both hands up.  That move probably cost him 3 seconds!

The Doyle family runners

Now, on to pull-ups!

2 comments:

  1. In that picture of Chris, I was thinking, wow, he looks pretty old. Then I realized he wasn't the guy in the yellow shirt. ;) And I read Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes, he is a pretty insane guy. It makes you want to just go out and run, until you actually do it and realize 2 miles in that you really have no desire to run 50 miles at once even if you do get to eat a whole pizza while doing it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew...Tara I'm not sure running 50 miles and eating a pizza sound like a good combination...kinda like the Krispy Kreme 5k...who wants to eat a dozen donuts and then run ew. =)

    Congrats to Mia, Madeline, Grace, and Chris! I'm contemplating running the Liberty 5k this year...if I get some good shoes that get rid of the shin splints I've got developing at the moment!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.