Growing up, I was one of those girls who always knew I would be a wife and mommy one day. In fact, in sixth grade, I wrote an entire notebook on what I would and would not do as a mother. It was organized by topic and covered important things like the fact that I would most definitely buy my daughters Jordache jeans, let my kids stay up late and watch the TV shows that their friends do and never ever embarrass them when their friends come over. I think I can safely say I have failed in all of those areas. Things not covered in the notebook: child sickness, vomit or the number of hours I would spend at the DMV over the course of my career as a mother. All of those topics were unfortunately very pertinent today.
This morning, it finally rained. ( yay! ) Madeleine was off work and I decided it was a good time to get her learner's permit. Grandpa Doyle was kind enough to take the other girls to his house so Madeleine and I grabbed books and hit the road. The line was almost out the door when we arrived at the DMV. There was one--seriously one--employee working the intake desk. I heard someone in line grumble that this is how health care will be in a few years. Two hours later, I took a picture of Madeleine holding her permit with my new very smart phone. Those of you on facebook can check it out.
When we got home, I worked a little on my painting project before dinner and came downstairs to find Ella curled up on the couch asleep.
She looked exactly like an Anne Geddes baby with clothes. I touched her forehead and she was hot. She's the third kid to succumb to a mysterious fast cycling flu this week. She's the first to throw up with it.
So, not really a red letter day. Long lines in a depressing government building, sick kid, vomit and I'm still painting. All of it very real. And as I learned reading The Velveteen Rabbit, that's what love is all about. Which is something I definitely didn't know when I wrote my guide to future motherhood. Good thing, right?
Almost Friday!
If you paint again, you need to invest in better paint. I am completely sold on Benjamin Moore Aura paint. It's expensive - $60 a gallon. But, no primer and it coats in 2 coats - any color. My dark blue in my room was almost perfect in 1 coat, but I needed a second for a few spots that had some white peeking through. No wonder you hate painting - 5 coats is a lot of time.
ReplyDeleteI've decided that you shouldn't be alone in your painting projects. We're getting ready for the hardwood floors, and the kids' rooms need painted. So, we're going to tackle that this week. But, I'm also switching up rooms, so it'll be nuts here for awhile. Hopefully, yours will be done soon.