It will not be any kind of news flash for those of you who know me well that I have a bit of a filter problem. Meaning that my filter for what I should or should not let out of my mouth is often times on a much wider setting than it should be. Which is why you may occasionally find yourself asking, "Did she really just say that?" Many times, I simply can't help myself.
Like the other day. I was standing in Beauty Brands looking at shades of nail polish wondering about the best choice between Mermaid's Tears and Chrome when I heard a voice coming from the back where the salon is located. It was moving toward me and said rather sternly, "Watch where you're going. You don't want to bump into that nice lady." Meaning me. And I couldn't help myself. When the little boy carefully passed me, I confided, "Don't worry. I'm not very nice." They all looked at me a bit strangely but really--how did they know I didn't need a little jolt by junior that day to "knock the meanies out"?
But today's indiscretion really took the cake. On the way to church, I asked Ella what kind of panties she wants me to buy her when we start potty training next week. She thought a second and said, "Fr. TJ panties". Now, before you think that is too strange, please remember that Ella truly reveres Father TJ. Her comment told me that in her mind, he is above Disney princesses, Mickey Mouse and even Tangled. Also, because she has never owned panties, they are really no different to her than shoes or a shirt. The whole thing touched me, so when Ella ran over to hug Fr. TJ after Mass, I had to tell him about it. There was no one around when I started the story but by the time I finished, he was embarrassed and beet red and quite a few curious parties were wondering why. My friend told me afterward, "I probably would have told everyone else the story but not him." Oops. Poor Ella. Their friendship may never be the same.
I'd like to say that I will change my ways and be more discreet in the future but I think that would involve installing a pause button in my brain. One with a big flashing light and an announcer saying, "please stop and think before continuing". I suppose I should consider it a blessing that I have so many things to say and share. Sometimes I'm even a little funny.
Happy Pentecost Everyone!
Well I can understand the "beet red" in view of the sex abuse scandals. Poor Fr. T.J. But isn't it sweet that Ella loves him so much. That's the way it should be with priests and kids. I remember one of you asking, "Is that God?" when he/she saw the priest on the altar. They should certainly reflect His image. (As should we all!)
ReplyDelete