So, in case any of you are thinking that, because you have not read Anna Karenina*, you have nothing to contribute to our discussion, I must say, "au contraire mon frere". The line "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way" is the first line of a work of fiction, not a philosophy paper. As far as I know, there is no proof that it was even Tolstoy's personal opinion. Perhaps he was trying to do precisely what he did--write a memorable and quotable line that shook people up a bit. But even if it was his opinion and in discussing whether his statement is true or not, we are going toe to toe with someone who is widely considered a literary genius...well--so what? Tolstoy was one person--an artistic man who lived in Russia in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The words I'm asking about aren't even his per se. They are a translator's. Hopefully, a reliable translator's but I think it's important to remember that we are one step removed from the author when we read a translation. My point? That Tolstoy's opinions about families in Russia in 1877 would have had little to nothing to do with us anyway.
So, forget all of that. I'm simply curious--in your life, in your personal experience, is his statement true or false? It's an important question isn't it? ..........Bueller?
*In researching a very little bit about Tolstoy and Anna Karenina, I came across this statement, "a recent poll of 125 contemporary authors by J. Peder Zane published in 2007 in The Top Ten declared that Anna Karenina is the greatest novel ever written." I also came across opinions about Tolstoy's War and Peace being the best novel. Either way, Tolstoy looms large as a person of influence.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.