
Over the course of my thirty some odd years, I have adopted a few rules. One of my favorites is--anytime I see kids selling lemonade, I must stop, buy a glass and tip well. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to practice this rule for the first time in ages. Four very cute little kids were running a stand just around the corner from us. As I slowed the van, I saw some very eager grins, one blue from a lollipop. Madeleine ordered five lemonades and two boys brought them carefully to the window, completely forgetting to collect the money. There were more grins when we handed it over and they saw their tip.
It truly made my day. I supported some budding entrepreneurs (who knows--one of them could be the next Bill Gates), scored some very inexpensive but coveted drinks for the girls and relived a little of the excitement I used to feel selling lemonade for a quarter on the corner of Lisbon Lane (apparently the price of lemonade is immune to inflation). I'm just waiting for the day the girls want to set up their own stand. I will be there--with cow bell.
My boys and the other neighbor kids did that last summer. They also went down by the park and sold popsicles and lemonade, with Chad's help of course. They loved it and want to do it again soon. Kim
ReplyDelete