Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mud Bugs on Crocodile Dock Part I

The muddiest bug of them all

Way back in the spring, a friend of mine asked me to be her sidekick working with the preschool class at St. Martha's VBS.  I hadn't thought about whether or not we wanted to participate but it sounded like fun so I made a command decision and signed us all up.  Even Barbara had a job--I didn't want to leave Ella in the nursery so Barbara came over every afternoon to play with her.  (Thank you!)  Little did I know that the week of VBS would be incredibly busy and that Madeleine would come down with pink eye.  We rolled with it all, muddled through and had a great time.
After my first day with the Mud Bugs, I told Chris that I definitely had not missed my calling to be a preschool teacher.  It wasn't that I hated it--I just prefer teaching cooperative adults who do what I say or, if they don't, it's really not my problem.  By the end of the week though, I began to appreciate time spent with a gaggle of 3 and 4 year olds.  And of course for me, there was the additional reward of being with Doyle Princess #4.  
The highlight of my week may have been when one mother told me what her wee daughter had shared with her.  "Mommy, I love Mrs. Doyle.  She makes me want to wave at her."  What could be better than that?

We did crafts

Ate yummy snacks

Played with blocks

Made Easter cookies

They're hollow inside like the empty tomb and are super yummy!

"Skeeter" was the star of the week.  The kids loved him both onstage and off and Grace even asked if she could invite him to her birthday party--the greatest honor she can think to bestow.

Sophie and Marcela were fast friends.  In fact, Marcela spent much of the week 
carrying Sophie around and doing her bidding.  She and the other volunteers put up with 
my blond tyrant because, "she's sooo cute"! 
(that's a direct quote but, as her very prejudiced Mama, I have to agree)

Friends--part of what VBS is all about

Grace and friend
"What big teeth you have."

One of the highlights of the day for the girls was finding each other 
at the Firefly Finale just before going home.

"I get down and He lifts me up"

Fr. Linh busts a move

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.