Monday, June 22, 2009

Dear Dad

My mom is no dummy

Yesterday's post was dedicated to my kids' dad, today's is dedicated to mine--Lawrence Paul Kreitzer.  He's the best dad I ever had and I am so proud to be his daughter.  He gets his internet news from my mom so, Mom, you'll have to print this page for him.  And faithful Frodo Seven readers-- if after reading this, you would like to send fan mail to my dear dad for being the exemplary father he is, please leave a comment.

Top Ten Things I Learned From My Dad

1.  Ask Dad, he knows.  I'm pretty sure my dad knows everything.  I've always gone to him with my questions and really haven't grown out of the childlike confidence I've always had in him.  I'll never forget the seventh grade science fair project my dad and I did together.  We built a motor and I won Best-of-Fair, not just for the motor but because I could explain and answer questions about how it worked.  I still remember--sort of.  Thanks Dad!
2.  Fitness matters.  Exercise has always been a part of my dad's life.  Some of my best memories of college vacations are of shared runs with him.  You remember them, Dad, "Hello you dear old Building and Loan."  My love of athletics and fitness is a gift from my dad--one I hope I'm passing on to my girls.
3.  Math is fun.  Well, not quite.  But Dad did get me through high school math where I was the envy of my friends for having the best tutor around.  Now he's guest tutor at the Doyle Homeschool and math is definitely more fun with Paka.
4.  Be humble.  My dad is unpretentious and more often than not, chooses a support role rather than the spotlight.  His quiet leadership style changes lives though as was evidenced at his retirement ceremony when colleague after colleague expressed their admiration of him.
5.  Laugh often.  My dad keeps his jubilee in easy reach.  When he laughs, his whole face lights up and he looks a lot like I imagine he looked as a boy.  His brother Rick probably brings out this quality more than anyone and there's this one "angel on top of the Christmas tree" joke that gets him every time.
6.  The measure of success is the number of grandchildren fighting for your lap.  Sophie recently told me that she wants to live with Paka forever.  I told her that she will have to settle for the month of July because I am not willing to part with her.  My mom jokes that the kids run past her to get to dad--not exactly true--but they do love their Paka.
7.  Siblings are the best friends God picked for you.  My dad has a great relationship with all of his eight brothers and sisters--especially my Uncle Rick who I'm sure would get him into trouble if they lived closer to each other.  I am blessed to have wonderful friends who I'd do just about anything for but my siblings and siblings-in-law will always come first--something else I hope I'm passing on to my girls.
8.  When in doubt, ride the John Deer.  I think you can probably work through any problem while mowing the back three on the green machine.  My dad spends a couple of hours on it daily in the summer and is one of the most peaceful people I know.  I'm sure there's a correlation.
9.  Simple things are best.  A good hike, a football game, a basketball game, a golf tournament (you get the idea), a few minutes playing Katie the Lion, a bowl of oatmeal, a cannonball off the diving board, Yuengling.  It's the sweet, stolen moments that make up the good life.  My dad has a good life and with five awesome kids and eighteen grandkids is the richest man I know.
10.  When God calls, the answer is "yes".  This of course is the most important thing my dad taught me.  He hasn't said it so much as lived it.  He and my mom, like many long-married people, have been through a lot.  They muddle through it all on their knees and I know all of our lives would be a lot darker were it not for the hours they spend saying the rosary by candlelight at Camp Kreitzer.  To paraphrase St. Thomas More, my Dad is his family's humble servant, but God's first.

I love you, Dad.  I owe you more than I can ever repay.  Thanks for tearing up the bill!

2 comments:

  1. Just read this and now that Dad has his own computer and email account I will forward him the link. We are blessed to have the best children in the world and better than best grandchildren. Can't wait to see you all.

    And here's a great article on parenting and discipline that I thought you and your readers might find helpful. Wish I'd had more help when I was a young mom. We had Dr. Spock (gag!).
    http://www.fathersforgood.org/ffg/en/common_challenges/discipline.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the honor of working with/for Mr. K for several years during my last tour in the Marine Corps. At Marine Corps Systems Command, he was widely respected for his quiet, wise leadership, and his no-nonsense, no politics, get-to-the-bottom-line style. Semper Fi, Mr. K! And Happy Father's Day! CED

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.