Sunday, June 14, 2009

Movin' On Up


They're movin' on up to...
Mia--2nd grade, Grace--kindergarten & Sophie--pre-school
Sophie officially completed her time as a saboteur

One week ago today, we celebrated the end of the school year with a big award ceremony and party.  It was hosted by the Catholic homeschool group at our parish.  We gave awards for grade completion and special achievements during the year and enjoyed a mini-talent show by our students.  Chris acted as MC and moved the evening along, introducing each family to present and receive their awards.  When it was our turn, Chris recognized each of the girls for her work as well as presenting our special Frodo Seven Donut Award to his father Jack for exemplary service to our family.  Then, Chris turned it over to me to present my MIL Barbara's award.  By that time, I'd done a lot of work to make the evening happen and was feeling tired and emotional so I made it through about five words before I handed the award back to Chris saying, "I can't do it".  What I would have said is this:  "This award goes to someone I have on speed dial, someone who always answers when I call for help.  For as long as I've known her, she's been there with a listening ear, helpful--usually medical--advice or whatever else I might need.  This year she has cared for the kids so that I could do special things like take a class with Sophie, chaperone field trips and occasionally even get a pedicure.  If she has it, she gives it and I wonder, what would we do without her?  The Frodo Seven Lean On Me Award goes to Barbara Doyle."  Then there would have been thunderous applause, Barbara would have burst into tears and she would have offered to keep the kids for a week while Chris and I headed to the Carribean.  Oh well.
The other award I flubbed was one I'd planned for Chris.  It was the Frodo Seven True Hero Award and what I should have said was:  "This award goes to the person whose work makes all that I do possible.  In fairy tales, the hero is always out fighting dragons and doing other daring deeds to win the princess.  In real life, heroes spend a lot of time slaying dragons for their employers in order to support their families.  They put the good of their families ahead of personal satisfaction or achievement.  They turn off the game when their wife or daughter needs their attention.  They shoulder their responsibilities as head of the household, leading gently by example the way Jesus did.  They show their sons what it means to be a man and their daughters what they should look for in one.  They make their wife feel like the luckiest woman in the world.  I am blessed to know many men like this.  I was raised by one and am grateful that I am married to one.  He is a real man in every way and is my hero."  So--that's what I should have said.  Instead, I think I muttered "my hero" and thrust a gift bag in Chris' direction.  I had bought him the movie Hercules (a total Homer gift) because it's my favorite hero movie--probably because I relate so well to Meg, the fallible but lovable heroine.
And thus ended our first year back at homeschooling.  I already have a list of "what I"ll do differently next year"s and my friends and I are planning all kinds of great new activities for our pupils.  What was clear to me as I put together our end-of-year slideshow though was that we had a full and amazing year and--I love homeschooling!

These were the special awards we gave the girls.
Madeleine received the St. Maria Goretti Award for putting first things first this year
Mia received the St. Rose of Lima Award for miraculous abilities in reading
Grace received the St. Ignatius of Loyola Award for the fiery spirit that she offers to the Lord
and Sophie received the St. Therese Award for her love of Mary and joyful spirit

1 comment:

  1. Geez Alice, this made me nearly tear up! Honestly. What an awesome and inspiring posting - thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.