Thursday, June 18, 2009

Behind the Scenes of Swim Story

Grace and Iman
Two stellar six-and-unders

We're in the home stretch of swim season.  Grace swam her final races of the summer at last weekend's meet, Madeleine and Mia will swim in Divisionals this weekend and Madeleine, who qualified for All Stars in most of her events, will swim in that meet just a few days before we head off to almost heaven (Virginia).  It's been a wonderful season for all of us, full of important firsts like Grace's first 25 yards without touching the lane rope and Mia's first time biking to practice on her own.  We've loved cheering on our swimmers but some of the best moments happened outside of the pool and that is what this post is about.  
Swimming is so much FUN.  Being with friends at the all day meets, cheering at the Pep Rallys, participating in fun events like the Wahoo Pool Party and the Lapathon--even the mandatory volunteering can be fun (just try to buy something from Chris when he's working the concession stand and you'll see how much fun it can be!)  I admit that I am ready to get my Saturdays back and that I will not miss 7 AM practice.  I am also 100% ready for vacation but there is no doubt that the Doyles will be back for more--with one more swimmer in tow.

The only camping we've done lately--"swimmers hideout"

Sophie waits patiently to watch her sisters' next race

She must be a Texan--who else would wear a sweatshirt in 90 degree heat?

Three Wahoos (pay no attention to that Longhorn t-shirt)

Mia and friends

Sophie and friend
(We love that our good buddies the Rouselles are also Wahoos)

"Are you a Wahoo?"

Jack is a faithful fan
He braves the heat every week to watch his favorite swimmers.

The sweet ending to most meets for Grace

Fun Fridays
Friday practices include games and trips down the water slide 





Fun at the Pep Rallys

Games


Cheers

A beloved coach (Coach Robbie)

and good friends

Fun at the Wahoo Family Pool Party

Mia swims the deep end, keeping her cotton dry, to win a prize

Two little mermaids

Ella likes the water but hasn't completely warmed up to "under, bubbles, kick"

Another first for G

Thumbs up for Sophie

Our up-and-coming swimmer

Parent-child relays
I was standing at the edge of the pool, ready to swim with Madeleine when Mia told me she wanted to swim too.  So I swam twice, once with Mia and once with Madeleine.  Madeleine was leading when I took off from the side.  We came in third or fourth.  Madeleine was upset about the Target gift card we didn't win and I think next year I might mention something about separating out the men and the women.  Not that I'm bitter...

That's me tearing up the water

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.