Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Prodigal Turtle


So, I hope you're sitting down because I have bad news--we lost Thomas Henry.  One recent morning, Chris went out to check on him and found his enclosure on its side.  We have a pesky raccoon running around so he may well have been the villain but I like to think that a couple of Thomas' buddies came to spring him so he could join in all of their turtle adventures.  
We were sad he was gone and the girls' thoughts immediately ran to what kind of pet they could get next--a chihuahua (no way), a kitten (serious no way), a pig (interesting but no), a bunny (we already have one, her name is Sophie), a guinea pig (hmmm.....mom likes the idea but dad says h-ll no, no pets! no pets! no pets!).  The girls went sadly out to ride their bikes and promptly forgot all about it.
Well--guess who Chris found crawling around by the trash cans the next day?  Dear old TH.  Chris immediately treated him to a huge salad (the turtle equivalent of a fatted calf) and gave him a good neck rub--I have never seen a turtle stick its neck out as far as Thomas does.  
So, our prodigal turtle is home--for now.  We will release him at Turtle Bridge in a few days and it's unlikely he'll find his way back to Casa Doyle.  Sad but--where God closes a door, He always opens a window.  I wonder who will crawl into our lives next.  Hopefully not that raccoon....

1 comment:

  1. Very funny. I think it's a sign:) He returned and he also lets you scratch his neck. Never have I heard of a turtle acting like a real pet. He's meant to be a Doyle!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.