Monday, August 10, 2009

Rockin' the Beer Gut


5 foot something, cherry bomb, she had everything going on
The first thing that caught my eye, 
She was rockin' the beer gut
And I love the way she's not ashamed
Rockin' the beer gut, well it's just some extra love 
Around her waist.

My BIL Kevin and I agree on many things but country music is not one of them.  For me, country is like coming home.   It reminds me of my roots and centers around many of the values that I hold dear like faith, family, hard work, gratitude and patriotism.  So, I love country.  Kevin--doesn't.  I sometimes give him a hard time about that given that he's chosen to settle down in America's heartland and his wife is from the smallest of small towns USA.  Every once in awhile though, I hear a country song that makes me cringe and see the genre from Kevin's perspective.  The most recent one is "Rockin' the Beer Gut" by a band called Trailer Choir that, as far as I can tell, is about a woman who looks fine, beer gut and all.  What I want to know though is--why?  We all know that beer guts, and guts in general, are a part of life* but who wants to call attention to them or sing about them?  I'm wondering what Trailer Choir will treat us to next--stretch marks?  tooth decay?  In any case, every time I hear their RTBG, I turn the dial and send a silent message to Kevin, "I hear you, my brother". 

*p90X can help with any gut issues you may have

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious, Alice! I can't believe that is an actual song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, here's a posting about country music that mentions beer guts, trailers, stretch marks and tooth decay. Seems like that genre needs to work on it's image. I think you should definitely unleash Tony!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.