Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again

We've been back one week now and the fog is finally starting to clear.  The bags are unpacked, the mountains of laundry are done and I am slowly remembering how to run our household.  After blending our family with several others for weeks on end, being on our own again took a little getting used to.  And I'm still a little sad because I'm really most in my element when I'm mixed in with the rest of my family.  When I called my nephew Zack for his birthday on Monday, I wanted to be there to hug him and pull on his ears twelve times (he's really five but insisted to me on the phone that he was twelve).
Fortunately, I am blessed to have amazing in-laws and wonderful friends here.  I saw one of them Saturday night.  While our husbands were at Minute Maid Park cheering on the Astros without success, she and I hung out with our girls and watched my parents' video.  It takes a true friend to sit through over thirty minutes of mostly people she doesn't know and I was grateful because I very much enjoyed sharing it.
Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Madeleine set up a nail salon and took orders for custom designs from her sisters and small buddies.  Here are a couple of her masterpieces.  (She must get this talent from her dad because I am hopeless with nails!)

So--the point of this post?  I guess I don't have one.  We came home from Virginia a little more conflicted than when we left.  There are things we love about being Texans and things we long for back in Virginia.  So I suppose I'm like that proverbial kid insisting, "but I want both".  I haven't figured out how to solve that problem but in the meantime, life goes on and we are blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Madeleine, will you do my nails? Well-- if I had any nails. Maybe you can do my thumbs.

    Love,

    Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, this is downright weird: I've been singing Aerosmith's Back in the Saddle Again in my head all morning, so when I just now opened your blog to see what's going on and saw the title of your post, I was amazed. Then I read about your TX vs VA predicament and I recall the dream I had a few nights ago. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.