Thursday, August 13, 2009

Can You Say Eight?

"Wait for me!  I want to go too!"
Tony Horton

Madeleine started eighth grade today.  I don't usually cry at big milestones but this morning, when I took her first day pictures, I felt a little pressure behind my eyes.  How many of these pictures have I taken and where has the time gone?  Our kids are with us for such a short time and some of the years they are at home are so busy that they go by in a whirlwind of activity.  At least that's been my experience so far as a mother.  
Madeleine is and always has been a very special kid.  She has the tenderest of hearts for her family and friends.  She is thoughtful and generous--in fact she returned to school with carefully prepared gifts for all of her BFFs.  She has a sparkle to her that I've always thought has something to do with her innocence.  She wants to be grown up and more and more, I  hear her saying to me and her dad, "Wait for me!  I want to go too!"  At the same time, she wants to stay a little girl with people to take care of her and all of her familiar toys and dolls around her.  My hope is that she chooses to be the best of both.
I took her to get her hair cut yesterday.  We avoided the strip mall hair places and splurged on a "real" salon.  Madeleine loved it and loves her new do, complete with layers and side bangs. 

Chris wondered if she was going to start peering out at us from behind clumps of hair like Christian, my friend Hope's son, who we affectionately refer to as the lost Beatle.  I think Madeleine looks beautiful and way too grown up.
We love you, Min and are praying for a spectacular year!  Next stop (too soon)--High School!

Baby Mine

4 comments:

  1. Awww... that's so sweet, I think I started tearing up too. Where does the time go??? Love the hair cut and the backpack, very cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the title of this post my first thought was that ya'll were going to have to rename the blog to "Frodo Eight"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too funny! Maybe there will be a "Can You Say Eight Again?" post someday! We really have to se you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs and kisses to all my special girls. We missed you on the daughter's lunch outing, Alice. I posted about it on my blog. Love ya! Mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.