Friday, August 28, 2009

Good News and other things

I got some good news this week.  To give you a little background...in the spring, I accepted a teaching assignment for this fall.  It is ideal because it is a class I've taught before, it meets just once a week toward the end of the week and it meets at the campus closest to our house.  Unfortunately, because I'm an adjunct professor, I am not guaranteed a class in any given semester and over the last couple of weeks, it has looked like a full-time professor would have to take my class because of low enrollment in one of hers.  I sort of said c'est la vie (or así es la vida) and continued getting ready to teach my pupils at Casa Doyle.  Monday, I got an email from one of the students I taught this summer.  It was one of those rare "thank you" messages and it made me a little sad that I was out of a job for the semester.  So I called the college to check the status of the class.  My boss called me back right away asking, "Didn't you get my message?  You've got it."  I was more surprised at the rush of joy I felt than at what he'd said.  I hadn't realized until that moment how much I've loved teaching at the college over the last couple of years.  I find it incredibly rewarding to share my love of Spanish and to make learning as fun and easy as possible for the adults I teach.  I also love that I'm using the degree I worked so hard to get.  Of course, I firmly believe that education is worthwhile for its own sake and I wouldn't regret pursuing my degrees even if I weren't using them in the workplace.  Being an "I want both" person though, I consider myself incredibly blessed to be both a stay at home, homeschooling mom and a part-time working professional.  


In other news...I've had a lot of time this week to catch up on my blog-reading and there's one in particular I thought I'd share with you.  Back in December when I was getting ready to launch Frodo Seven, my SIL Martina showed me a couple of blogs as examples.  She put one of them on my browser and I still check in on it every once in awhile even though I've never met the author.  Her name is Emily and she is a wife, mother, professional photographer and culinary artist among other things.  I keep coming back to see what she's up to because her photography is so fun.  I think the photo shoot she posted the other day is my favorite so far.  Sure, you can dress up and go to Portrait Innovations (I've used them) and pose and smile in their studio or maybe you can do something a little different.  To me, these photos say "Why not?"  Why not be creative?  Why not have fun?  Why not try something new?  Why not pretend?  Why not have beignets for dinner (more on that later)?  Really-why not?  Click here to check out Emily's awesome photos.  And Emily--thanks for sharing!

  

2 comments:

  1. You have totally hit the nail on the head! This is why I love creative photography, even if I stink at the "being creative" part of it, lol. Emily's stuff just continues to amaze, como no?

    xoxo

    BTW, you have something special in the mail on its way to you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.