
Who knew? The largest statue of an American is of Sam Houston.
It stands 65 feet tall and overlooks Highway 45
Having grown up in Virginia, I know a lot about Virginia state history but almost nothing about Texas. Last week, I had the opportunity to learn a little bit when I went with Madeleine on her field trip to Sam Houston's home in Huntsville, TX. Before the trip, the only thing I knew about Sam Houston was that the city was named after him and that he'd had something to do with Texas' independence from Mexico. With my MIL Barbara watching my babies, I was able to really listen and learn a lot about him and now, I know quite a bit. A few of the highlights:
*He was born in Virginia
*He is the only man to have served as governor of two different states--Tennessee and Texas
*He led the Texas Revolutionary Army to defeat Santa Ana at the Battle of San Jacinto and won Texas' independence (Apirl 21, 1836). Incredibly, the battle lasted just eighteen minutes.
*He lived with the Cherokee indians twice. The chief considered him as a son and called him "Raven" and, during a particularly difficult period when he was drinking a lot, "the big drunk".
*He wore a simple gold band, a gift from his mother, for his entire life. It was inscribed with the word "Honor".
I love visiting the homes of important figures in US history because, in addition to their contributions to the building of our great nation, they are such interesting people.
Of course, the best part of the day was being with Madeleine and her friends. She's growing up so fast and I know the next five years will fly by. Then she'll be off to college and on to all of the adventures the Lord has planned for her. I'll take all the time I can get with her--my first baby--of whom I'm so incredibly proud.
Fun on the bus
Madeleine's buddies Gabby and Lauren
I wish I'd had all this fun stuff as a teen!
First stop--Woodland
Home built by Sam Houston and his bride Margaret
Madeleine and Stephanie listen intently
I've never seen a house like Woodland. There was a very wide hallway in the middle with an open door at either end. That part of the house was called the "Dog Run" and the bedroom was off to the left and the living room to the right. It was called a Dog Run because the dogs and other animals would lie there to get out of the heat of the day and benefit from the breezes blowing through the house.
Stephanie, Madeleine and Gabby in the kitchen
Cooking on the hearth.
This was the most interesting part of the field trip for me. This kitchen was in a separate building just as the kitchens in colonial homes back east. The fireplace is made of stones that are stacked without any mortar to hold them together. I think she called it a stack stove. She heaped coals under and over the pot to make the most delicious popcorn. Apparently, they also cooked corn bread that way to make sure it baked evenly. Back at home, Madeleine has made popcorn in a pot on the stove two or three times since that day. It's not quite the same. I suspect that's because in Sam Houston's kitchen, they added lard.
One thing is certain--I would not have made a good pioneer. Making everything from scratch, cooking all day in the heat, washing all of my laundry by hand. I guess you do what you have to do and one thing that did occur to me is that, with such a hard life, it would not be difficult to remember that I am truly not made for this world. Even so, I am very thankful for my dishwasher, washing machine, microwave and especially, the local grocery store!
The seventh grade class from SMM on the steps of the Steam Boat House
What a neat field trip! We've been to a few of Sam Houston's sites, but not all of those.
ReplyDeleteOh, she'll love the San Antonio trip! I was born and raised there, and have been to the Alamo (as well as all of the missions and other sites) many, many times. What a fun trip it'll be for her (and you, if you're going).