After hanging with his Uncle Chris for six weeks,
Flat Alex will leave Houston a serious Astros fan!
Monday, April 6th: Opening Day &
DAY 3 of TLCTH
Until a year or so ago, if you had asked me where in Texas I'd most like to live, I would have said Austin. My brother, sister-in-law and family live there, the weather is a little better and it's...weird. Lately though and especially after last week, I am happy to be living in Houston. I won't give you my top ten list right now but I'll mention two things. First, Houston is known as the biggest small town in America. It always surprises me to remember that it's the fourth largest city because it is extremely accessible and the downtown area is cozy. We went in and out of the city four or five times during the week and dealt with very little traffic or navigational headaches. Downtown is about half an hour from Kingwood so going in to visit the zoo, the aquarium, the museums or the special events we like to go to is very easy. Second, Houston is home to the Astros. I don't know when I became a baseball fan but I love the Astros. I know the players, I like Minute Maid Park and I like playing baseball with the kids in the backyard too.
Monday was opening day and we all headed to Minute Maid Park for the festivities. Chris was a little concerned that there wouldn't be much for the kids but it was a lot of fun. Tara was excited about the free food (I'm sensing a theme here). There was music, a lot of give-aways and a lot of excited fans. We saw a group of people wearing puma costumes and another group wearing sombreros and Carlos Lee shirts.
We spent some time at the Marine Corps' pull-up station. Chris, Brendan and Tara all participated and won prizes. After that, we headed into the Astros' fan shop. I bought Brendan a baseball and am hoping he puts it to good use when he gets home.
"Bigg-i-o!"
Brendan, Alex and Mia with #7 Craig Biggio
We were at his jersey retirement ceremony last summer
They're everywhere! Mia and Maggie G with a girly Chik-Fil-A cow
We ate free Chik-Fil-A sandwiches for lunch.
"Who loves the Astros?" "I do! I do!"
The best part of baseball!
The Lauderdales in front of our favorite Houston landmark
Mr. B did enough pull-ups to get a cool water bottle. I was impressed. He had to really kick himself up to make it but he has the moves. Chris is seeing visions of TBS for his godson!
Tara is prepared in case the Marine gets frisky
Hey-this isn't so bad.
Almost there. The crowd was cheering her on.
She did a great flexed arm hang and won a water bottle.
Astros cheering section
Inside
A few of the balls hit out of the park by Lance Berkman
Alex liked the train. It sounds off and moves every time the Astros hit a Home Run.
Back at home, Lawrence made some amazing raspberry martinis (I am looking forward to a repeat at the Outer Banks in July), and Jason Torres, a high school friend of Tara and Lawrence's, came to dinner with his family. We all had a good time and we took the opportunity to give Lawrence his birthday gift. Since we hadn't had the fun of celebrating a birthday for at least five days, I pulled out the birthday hat. Lawrence was a good sport and pretended to like it and the singing hamster card we'd gotten him. (I haven't come across it yet but I'm hoping he accidentally left it behind.)
Lawrence can't wait until Tara buys him his very own birthday hat!
You had me at Craig Biggio. I've had a crush on him since high school.
ReplyDeleteI've never claimed to be an Astro's fan as it is usually insinuated along with Houston birth rights, but I've been a Biggio fan for mmm, 16+ years. Yum!
Enough about the food! ;) No just kidding, I'm not embarrassed, I love free food, it just tastes better. :)
ReplyDeleteWell, when you get your blog back online, you can harass me back. Number one on my list would be my wearing jeans to the beach--loser! (you have to imagine Neil saying that :)
ReplyDelete