The view from the front door of Casa Doyle
Last Saturday was a day of a couple of firsts. Chris celebrated his first thirty-______th birthday and we were all rained in for the first time in our lives. We've been snowed in before and when we lived in Fredericksburg, Va, I looked forward to those days when everything stood still and the world was quiet for awhile. Being rained in didn't feel quite as peaceful. It just felt strange. We watched trucks roll slowly down our street with water covering the large tires and we heard about a family who hydroplaned into standing water. Five small children drowned. Our hearts and prayers go out to them.
When the water finally receded later in the afternoon, Madeleine and I got out to do some last minute birthday shopping for Chris. Madeleine had put aside some of her babysitting money and wanted to buy her Dad Guitar Hero. She didn't have quite enough to cover the whole thing but I was so impressed with her generosity that I agreed to put in the rest. Chris has been an aspiring guitar player for a long time and loved the gift. In fact, several nights this week, we have sat together in the living room--him with Guitar Hero and me with Frodo Seven. At least we're in the same room but I think I may need to work on my guitar skills if I want to have any meaningful interaction with my "guitar hero" in the next few weeks!
The water covered the curb and--incredibly--moved my heavy clay planter about two feet
Receding
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNice gift!! Maybe we can get 'I Ate You Up' on the next version of Guitar Hero! lol
ReplyDeleteI must say I'm a bit jealous. Evan and I jammed on Pinball Wizard at Blockbuster this evening. He on guitar and I on drums. What fun!