Thursday, April 16, 2009

She Sells Seashells




Jumping for joy.  We're at the beach!

Friday, April 10th
DAY 7 of
The Lauderdales Come to Houston
PART I

There's nothing like playing tour guide for out of town guests to make you see home with new eyes.  We live only a little over an hour from Galveston but I can count on one hand the number of times we've been there since moving to Houston--and definitely not since Hurricane Ike came through in September.  When we headed to the shore on Friday, we weren't sure what to expect.  Chris had the day off so it was a family day for all of us.
Galveston looked pretty good.  We drove along the beach for awhile and saw buildings that still needed work but most businesses were open and operational.  We ended up at the same part of the beach we've been to in the past.  It's near restrooms with showers and it used to have a playground for the kids.  That was either torn down or blown away in the storm and was replaced by a huge inflatable slide and some kind of bungee jumping attraction.  We steered clear of those and focused on playing in the water and the sand.  
I was honestly expecting a deserted beach and a sunny but chilly day but the beach was packed and when it came time to do the Stations of the Cross we'd brought along in observance of Good Friday, we had to find an inconspicuous spot behind all of the chairs and umbrellas.
I hate to admit this but I was very lame and didn't bring a bathing suit or even shorts.  I still had a great time but next time I go to the beach in the spring in Texas, I'll remind myself that I'm in Texas and spring = summer here! (summer=inferno)

Two of my favorite nephews

Two more of my favorite nephews

What IS this Mommy?

Here comes Godzilla

She apparently didn't like the feel of sand on her legs.  
Here she's doing her ape walk.
Lawrence and Sean

Take a good look at Chris' bathing suit. He left it in the bathroom at the end of the day.  I'm hoping the little store in Woodstock, VA where I bought it is still in business 
because I really liked that suit!
Future Marine (or Navy Seal)
Brendan told us he plans to go to the Naval Academy

"Prin-cess!"

Tara and Lawrence take Mia for a ride on the waves

Good big sis'

So much fun

Sand creation

Cooking?  There was definitely some eating going on!

Look at that face

Not asleep

Digging for clams

Two of the first set of Doyle-Kreitzer-Lauderdale triplets

Chris won't get much of a workout that way!

M & M

Baby bird 

"Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah"--playing Enchanted and calling the animals 

Two princes come running

More clams

Grace and Lauren

Aunt Tara

"Look, Daddy!"

"Come on, Ella"

No can do

Tara couldn't believe we don't take advantage of living so close 
to the beach.  She's right.  We will be back soon.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, reading your visit posts was like taking a virtual trip back to Houston. What a fun time! Wish we were there. I'm going to go out and garden because we finally got a warm day and some sunshine after several days of rain. Hopefully that will make it easy to pull weeds.

    A round of kisses and a big love circle hug to the entire family.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.